Had to downshift all the way to first pulling the 5th wheel

plywood

Recovered N/A
Reaction score
So yesterday I headed out with the fifth wheel trailer and the 87 to take it up to my camping spot (actually my new home LOL).

So going up the freeway, the truck has good power, keeps up with the freeway hills just fine, but on the way up to this Campground there are some really steep hills.

The first one I was reaching over to grab a jug of water, looked up after going down a short hill and said "Oh ****". It looked like it was straight up.

So dropped it into second gear, put the pedal to the floor, which I never do. Sucked me down from about 2600 rpm to 1800 in no time at all. I double clutched it into first gear and was able to pull it at about 3/4 throttle. This is all without a temp gauge or an egt. All I knew is I had oil pressure.:rotflmao I just use my nose as a smell gauge.

Never in my life have I had to pull downshift to first gear for lack of power in second. Granted I had at least 9000 lbs payload, but still.

There was about 3 or 4 hills like that before I got to the campground. Then it's steep windy one lane tree laden gravel roads up to 1600-1800 ft elevation. The last 1/2 mile was all first gear low range four wheel drive.

But what elation when I finally got there after all the thinking and stressing about it.

Anyway, check out the pics. Right in the middle there is Mt. St Helens and a view of two lakes from that spot.

Going to be cool for a while but now I don't really have anywhere to work on trucks. I've got a buddy who says I can put my tool in his garage, just have to feel out the situation for whether or not I can build more trucks.

You must be registered for see images attach

G.W BUFFALO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good thing you dont have a pyro, or you woulda passed out at the sight of the temp..

plywood

Recovered N/A
Reaction score
I didnt use low range cause my 87 is hybrid and right now the shifters hit in 2nd gear, plus I was afraid I'd break something, but I often use low range for the split of gears at low speed for sure.

I was thinking the same thing, except about the temp gauge G W. After that I ran the truck home at 2600 rpm at 70ish all the way back and still runs perfect.

My IP is pretty much at N/A setting and I can hear the clutch fan engage so I get an idea of what's going on anyway.LOL I think she's good. Really it made me like the truck alot more cause now I just can drive and not really worry about much of it withstood what it did.;Sweet

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Weight, steep long grades, high altitude all conspire against your IDI. Like many have stated, it may not win any races, but it will keep moving and get you and your load there.

Cool photos man. Thanks for sharing.

Heath

plywood

Recovered N/A
Reaction score
Well, I can't see the mountain in the pics unless I look really hard. It's white and so is the sky so it didn't show up. You can kind of see the base of it.

Thanks. Heath.

justinray

Contributor
Reaction score
Ive always heard it was bad for thetruck to put it in 4wd without the hubs locked, but know 4lo is a great tool when in situations like this, any truth to the first statement?

Kevin 007

Full-floater
Reaction score
Its not going to hurt anything if the hubs are not turned in, if anything it will be easier on the u-joints and front driveshaft as there is no load on it. I often use 4Lo for backing up trailers and whatnot just to be easy on the clutch,

plywood

Recovered N/A
Reaction score
Mostly I worry about the rear driveline because it was from the 460/C6 and I don't believe it is near as thick as a factory ZF truck.

I was in low range first gear hubs locked up in the gravel roads but they did have paved areas on them where all four tires were on pavement on a full turn and nothing broke.;Sweet

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ive always heard it was bad for thetruck to put it in 4wd without the hubs locked, but know 4lo is a great tool when in situations like this, any truth to the first statement?

My Dad always bought the factory manuals for any vehicle he owned, and I always kept them. He had a 1975 Chevy pickup, and I remember reading in the manual they did not recommend using low range without the hubs locked in, because it could put too much strain on the rearend and damage it. With the hubs locked in, some of the torque will be diverted to the front diff and tires.

That being said, I do it all the time also with the hubs unlocked, and haven't broke anything yet.

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
hell, my crawler will be twinsticked, so i will have 2wd RWD low. and Front wheel drive also!

6.9poweredscout

Bleeds IH red...
Reaction score
I even use low range when backing the trailer up the driveway with the c6 I figure its less stress on the auto. Definately more stress on the drivetrain, my friend tried to burnout with his scout the other day in low 2wd and he snapped the pinion clean in half! Had to go trailer him home.... Lol good thing I have garages full of scout parts!

G.W BUFFALO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I even use low range when backing the trailer up the driveway with the c6 I figure its less stress on the auto. Definately more stress on the drivetrain, my friend tried to burnout with his scout the other day in low 2wd and he snapped the pinion clean in half! Had to go trailer him home.... Lol good thing I have garages full of scout parts!

Ive got my eye on a scout i found locally, geuss i know where to go for parts.. LOL

Wish i had the ones my uncle had when i was a kid, he had 5 of them all from the 60's..

Darrin Tosh

IDI Hound
Reaction score
I use 4lo when parking my camper as well, just dont lock in the front hubs, You can idle it right in.

Beautiful Setting for the 5ver, I could hang out there for a while!