GVW, GCWR and Towing capacity of 2003 E450?

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
More info.
Is it a cutaway? Van? Box?
Chassis cab?
2 or 4wd?
Auto or zf6?

Probably about 20k gcvw.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Andertusa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's a cut-away cab and chassis that they built an ambulance on. It's two wheel drive, the current configuration is sorta irrelivant as I'd bob-off anything I don't need, which would mean the ambulance body and a small section of frame after the rear axle.

Andertusa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Therefor, I sorta need to know what the maximums are, because I can't make the GVW go up, but I can eliminate any excess without violating the rules, thus meaning I can add weight without violating that damned GVW and GCWR.

Andertusa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm sorta looking at a 2003 E450 Superduty ambulance for a towing application, but I would eliminate all the ambulance bodywork and that to drop the wet weight.

Andertusa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know the rig could do it, but considering I might also be using the truck for commercial purposes, I don't want to risk violating the GCWR.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know the rig could do it, but considering I might also be using the truck for commercial purposes, I don't want to risk violating the GCWR.
if you are asking for commercial. you will need to take a look at your DL restrictions. most people can run up to 26k/lbs without additional requirements. commonly a E/F 450 grosses at 15k/lbs and can tow a bumper mount of 10k/lbs that puts you right at 25k/lbs combined. anything larger will require a commercial license.
notice i didn't mention GN or fiver trailer. unless you do a radical modification to your E-series box, you can run up to 14k if the GN or fiver is a RV. I figured I better cover the extra mile since there will be some ******* proposing such a combo too.

Andertusa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@ Towcat What's a 'GN'? I presume you mean 'fifth wheel' when you say 'fiver'. I'm not too worried about the total weight violating my license rating, I have a CDL that means I can currently do 10,000lbs trailer alone, though I'm currently looking to step-up from my 'B' with air brakes/passenger/school bus to a full A.

Andertusa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@ Jasper, part of he problem is that I'm sorta looking at an online auction thing that's like 1,000 miles from my ouse, so looking at the doorjamb is sorta hard. :puke:

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@ Towcat What's a 'GN'? I presume you mean 'fifth wheel' when you say 'fiver'. I'm not too worried about the total weight violating my license rating, I have a CDL that means I can currently do 10,000lbs trailer alone, though I'm currently looking to step-up from my 'B' with air brakes/passenger/school bus to a full A.
GN = gooseneck
fiver = fifth wheel
your class "b" deals mainly with two axle trucks to 35k gross with or without airbrakes depending on how you tested at. you still have a restriction on trailers until you get into your "A" and then you will have single/double/triple/oversize to test for.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanohawk

Members online