Guessing time...

steved

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What would cause a no-start issue and white smoke driving down the road, yet clear up and run absolutely normal other times??

I have a guess its a failing injector solenoid, but I'm not a Ford guy...but it acts suspiciously like a failing injector in a CR Cummins...

This is a 6.0L PS...

Newman

Reaction score
We need more info. Mods? When does it "no start" when does it "smoke white"? What is your FICM voltage?

steved

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not my truck, and that's all I can tell you...it is completely stock as far as I know.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Does it do this only when cold? After warm? Tow a heavy load? Is it eating coolant? We need more info please... Any Check Engine Light?

steved

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I only saw it do the no start after sitting all day...no CEL.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
OK, so after it warms up in a couple of minutes it clears correct?

Sounds like in may need the FICM Flashed with the Inductive Heating Flash, this warms the oil in the injectors before startup to help clear this problem. I had to have this done to mine.

Also, important question, do you know it it is consuming coolant (coolant loss, needing to add coolant). White smoke can be fuel, or water....

steved

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No, there is a no start at times...and while driving down the road, it will start blowing smoke bad (white) and running poorly, and then clear up and run fine.

I've pretty much narrowed it to a injector hanging open. It wont start when it hangs open because it can't build rail pressure and it smokes bad and runs poorly when it hangs open driving down the road (flooding the cylinder with fuel and dropping the rail pressure at the same time).

bismic1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No, there is a no start at times...and while driving down the road, it will start blowing smoke bad (white) and running poorly, and then clear up and run fine.

I've pretty much narrowed it to a injector hanging open. It wont start when it hangs open because it can't build rail pressure and it smokes bad and runs poorly when it hangs open driving down the road (flooding the cylinder with fuel and dropping the rail pressure at the same time).

6.0L engines have an oil rail and they do not use a high pressure fuel pump. Pressure is delivered by an "intensifier piston" using engine oil as hydraulic fluid.

It still sounds like an injector though. You might be able to tell which one with an IR heat gun - shoot the exhaust manifold and look for the coolest spot.

steved

Full Access Member
Reaction score
But they still have a common rail?

Nevertheless, I'm 99% sure its a failing injector...

bismic1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
HEUI, no common rail.

As I said, I agree w/ the injector probability.

One check:
Remove the ficm relay and disconnect the fuel pump by either pulling fuse or disconnecting pump. remove secondary fuel filter try to make sure its full then have someone crank it while looking for bubbles in the filter housing if any are present you have a bad bank of injectors.

For individual injectors:
If you remove the valve cover and pressurize the fuel system, look at the base of the injector for signs for fuel coming out between the injector and the head. Use air pressure so that you get bubbles..sometimes makes it easier.

As I said earlier - sometimes an IR temperature gun can help isolate the issue.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dieselmainiac

Members online