GUESS mixed bad WVO...ugh..

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, I've been fortunate thus far up until just before water pump calved....-cuss

I have been screening my WVO through a few different screens then pumping with a Ford frame mounted high pressure pump through a gas filter into my tank. So far it's worked great, I settle out the oil and ensure as best I can no water.

Well I shortcut my procedure the other day, I just screened through several consecutively smaller screens and by passed the pump/filter stage. I mixed up around 60 Litres of WVO and added it to two near empty tanks. I then went for beer, about a 10 minute drive down the highway each way. I got too town, but didnt get home I had to call a friend for a tow..The truck bucked and heaved and sputtered and the fuel filter light came on indicating plugged.

I got it home replaced the filter, filled with ATF like always, fired and ran...but not well. I had a SAR callout and I took my truck and on the call it sat and idled and ran for quite a while which ate some fuel, I just went to town again, and nearly didnt make it, I topped up that tank with about 20 L diesel so now I have nearly 30 litres diesel and WVO mixed and it's still giving me grief. The rear tank is worse, it won't run at all.

If I get it running it runs then dies a slow slow death seeming like not able to get enough fuel. I though tank screen was plugging and then clearing up when no more suction....then start run die ..and so on.

I pulled the tank today, screen is good, now I have to drain that tank completely and try to run the fuel through a filter now. I'll filter this fuel into my new clean plastic barrel so I can try adding some HOWES or something and more diesel.

This almost sounds like it could be a water issue too perhaps...I wonder if there was emulsified water in the WVO and that's the cause of my grief?

I cannot wait to get the centrifuge and start really making a clean fuel for my rig....Just one more reason to do things right!

I have to get truck ready for camping this next weekend as we are going to a multi area SAR camp out where several teams from all over come together do some exercises and have fun, topping off the summer with a yee haw!

Anyone got suggestions for potential water in fuel? What can I use to help get me out of this mess?LOL

Live and learn...I may make for super duper clean water pump install...but my fuel making sux:rotflmao There will be NO tech article on how to use WVO forthcoming in the near future as I failed misserably at it *****

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Since tank was registering full...I took no chances...LOL

My transmission jack in action...
You must be registered for see images attach

Strapped on good

Tank almost out...didn't spill a drop of fuel

And the blended fuel pumped from tank

So I'm finding small bits of detris/debris...likely ***** from the oil that wasn't correctly filtered out. Now that the fuel is so thing, I'll be pumping it through my filter and hopefully getting rid of any excess detris/debris, that just leaves the water issue!

What can I add to these jugs, 4 of them about 15-16 Litres...almost 4 gallons US each to make sure any water is deal with?

Thanks guys!

mobilemech

Full Access Member
Reaction score
there is a product called WSB fuel Enhancer, it will remove the water and kill any algee and remove it.
here is the link; http://www.wsbindustries.com
there website has a dealer listing for purchase info, great product, I use it here in the Arctic, the fuel we have here looks like a glass of water, this stuff has lube properties also.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here is my current last stage filter pump setup...redneck 101

Lil pump barely enough to get job done!

What was left in the bottom of the jug after pumping out the fuel mix

Guess gotta get it filtered better eh?

Now that's why I gotta get my filter/fuge setup ASAP...got virtually unlimited supply of oil...just need better setup!

6:40 My time pacific coast....

Got all four jugs of mixed fuel run through my filter, I got some other little bits done in prep of putting tank back in too.

Off to Car wash tomorrow to clean the tank out with the damn spray they have then I'll get methyl out and rinse tank one final time...

Got to pull rear tank tomorrow, though first, I'll stick my bigger pump down inside and pump it as close to empty as I can it's higher and I don't want to mess with trying to strap it to my jack. there is also the issue with the stupid skid plates. I may take a moment and also check into the Bronco tank in the rear! I have one out already...:D

Well I still can use more suggestions about water....ugh...****** me off to no end! ******** ME!

Last edited:

gdhillon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
looks like quite the sunday you had Al! So you strapped the tank to your tranny jack and then just unbolted all the bolts going to tank?

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
looks like quite the sunday you had Al! So you strapped the tank to your tranny jack and then just unbolted all the bolts going to tank?
Ya it was productive LOL

Basically, the tank is held in place with two straps and one bolt per strap.

I had removed the skid plate and tank that originally in the truck, that tank had a rather large hole that drained out my fuel I put in...good thing only stuck in 10 bucks...ROFL

So Just a week ago I installed the skid plate again, so that had to come out, then I put the jack under the full tank, undid fuel filler and lines, vent, and electrical connections, strapped it to the jack and then undid the two bolts holding straps in place, twisted the straps out as they fit in a T slot and then lowered tank. Simple and safe method.

I can install it without the jack, but I"ll likely use the jack that will make it nice and easy...always add the antisieze to bolts like those to keep em easy to remove.

I have some stuff to clear up on the tank and straps and I'll show what I do online...as usual!

bbjordan

Snow Monkey
Reaction score
I've read on some biodiesel forums that guys have used absorbent kitty litter. Just throw in the container. I'm not sure if that'll work with WVO tho. Another method would be to heat it drive off the water.

I won't use WVO after having had a bad experience with it. I got a batch of unprocessed biodiesel (WVO) and it cost me two fuel filters, an injection pump, and a set of injectors it gunked up. Of course I didn't know I had WVO so I didn't start and shut the engine down on #2 diesel.
Didn't have the WVO heated either.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've read on some biodiesel forums that guys have used absorbent kitty litter. Just throw in the container. I'm not sure if that'll work with WVO tho. Another method would be to heat it drive off the water.
I have no idea how on earth this would work...it does tend to draw oil as well as water...it's why it works well for shop floor cleanup...LOL

Heat would be difficult as I have to get the oil in the 250 degree range at least to boil off any water. Also if the water is emulsified as I suspect, that may preclude boiling as it may or may not work. I need to do considerably MORE research on that topic. The water is not free in the oil I don't see any water, I only see fuel....

I won't use WVO after having had a bad experience with it. I got a batch of unprocessed biodiesel (WVO) and it cost me two fuel filters, an injection pump, and a set of injectors it gunked up. Of course I didn't know I had WVO so I didn't start and shut the engine down on #2 diesel.
Didn't have the WVO heated either.
Yuuup...sounds bad to me...I sure hope that the 25-30kilometers I have driven have not effed anything. I believe I managed to get this caught in time.

It is the first time I"ve had issues with my WVO use. I have a hunch it's not the best batch I have made ROFLOL

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Got out there today....discovered I have NO MORE clean oil containers to drain/fill the rear tank from/with...UGH...Not even any mildly usable ones...UGH

Also had to fab some stupid strap covers and tank buffer/padding

Tank strap covers some kind of hose I got that was on chains...LOL new I'd use either the chains or hose for something!

Took some hole punch and made holes so water can get out the bottom

Upper cross member where the current pad/material was...it was all gone for *****!

Cut some vinyl floor mat I had about same size, just a little larger than the pads I removed and they will sit on tank giving it some cussion and padding from rubbing on cross member and frame etc

Just like I told Gary in my HUB repair thread, this truck was a LOG landing service truck and I tell ya, it's got serious dirt and sawdust packed everywhere, I took the time to clean all this off and all along the frame rail bottom edge cleaning it up getting it all off and away from electrical/fuel/brake systems.:rolleyes:

Here you can see how much material was behind around and under the fuel select valve and all the lines:eek:

Man that was messy, now to go get wife's truck, take and get her car some gas, my truck some diesel and I think, I'm off to the races!

I'll find some more containers for the rear tanks mixed fuel. I want to see if I can use it as it does have a fair amount of diesel already mixed into it. I am going to drop that tank, clean it out and FILTER that fuel too....ROFL:rotflmao

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Got some buckets for the rear tanks fuel....ugh...what ever it takes.

Now on to my mess this time!:rotflmao

First I pumped as much of the questionable fuel out of the rear tanks as I could, this makes the tank significantly lighter to lower as I was doing this one by hand not using the jack.

This is what I got out so far

One of the front tank mount bolts, there are two on the front two on the rear tank skid plate. This plate is all there is holding the tank up in place

Two rear plate bolts as pointed out

two plates on the tank side, notice the grunge...ugh...this sucks

Here I have scraped one of the two skid plates off, quite a pile of crap

Bottom of the rear tank, stood on it's side!

Now here I have a Bronco tank and the stock 1 Ton rear tank for comparison purposes

Considerably taller tank that Bronco tank!

Taller tank, but it is shorter in length of tanks

The Bronco tank a carb type, has a different opening for the fuel sending unit and as such I cannot adapt the diesel one to it. However I suspect that my EFI tank has a larger 3" opening and it's still in my Bronco, the tank pictured is a spare for what ever I need.

Hope someone can use this info...rofl

Al

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Took and did a really thorough scrub/scrape/wire brushing of bottom of tank, LOW and behold.....PIN HOLES...UGH...

I had cut some of the same hose in half and made up strap/tank protectors for the rear tank.

Strap without a piece of the hose...

Straps prepped for a tank...LOL

I am going to pull the Bronco's tank tomorrow and see if I can get it happening in the rear of my truck....*** in for a penny in for a pound. I wonder if I can take the sending unit from the diesel truck, install in on the Bronco's setup, remove the electric fuel pump and install a pick up line, I bet I can, just not sure I can do it tomorrow....

This truck has to run this week for a camping trip so for now, wrap and tape rear fuel lines.

Install front tank, add diesel, already have exactly 20Liters of fuel in jerry jug, added some Howes fuel treatment to it. I'll drain the fuel filter and add some ATF then fire the truck, run for a bit, make sure it's ok, change fuel filter after a bit to a fresh one, or just try using the one I have on there and keep the new one as a spare in the truck, but right now I feel it's best to change it out!

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
OMGG, ONE THING THEN ANOTHER....:rotflmao THIS IS SERIOUSLY GETTING QUITE FUNNY

It would appear to me, that the lift pump is done!

Got the front tank installed, all connected up, poured in 20Liters of fuel, and a little howes in the fuel, took off the fuel filter, drained it topped it up with ATF and HOWES, turned over the truck and a few turns it fired! The rpm surged and the fuel filter light came on and it ran for a bit but surged rpm then died. Tried a few more times cranking and nothing. Took filter off, turned it over and nothing.

Tomorrow I'll blow through the lines with air and see if I can get some movement or what not. Done for the night don't feel like doing any more!

I may have a small electric pump I can use for short term. I doubt it would suffice for long term that's for sure!

Anyway, thanks for reading...rofl!LOL:rotflmao:rolleyes:

93turbo_animal

Reaction score
Heres my setup 330 gal tote I let settle then pump thru 2 golden rod filters into barrels and let settle again then pump it from barrels straight into trucks thru the 2 goldenrod filters again

Attachments

• IMG_20120917_175054.jpg
    IMG_20120917_175054.jpg
    560.6 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_20120917_175014.jpg
    IMG_20120917_175014.jpg
    470.3 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_20120917_175110.jpg
    IMG_20120917_175110.jpg
    443.3 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_20120917_175104.jpg
    IMG_20120917_175104.jpg