Groove in head at fire ring

Torinojts

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Searched forum for answers with no luck. Got heads back from machine shop. New exh valves, guides, and valves and seats ground. Got them home and noticed a groove. The grove is where a head gasket fire ring failed. It's about .004 deep and about 1/2 inch long on 1 head and the other about .002. Can these heads be resurfaced and safe? Manual says they cannot. Any answers.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Patience grasshopper, master YodaIcanfixall will chime in and without a doubt his answer will be one of great and profound wisdom as the FORCE is strong with him....

goofy mood today...

Al

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Hey Al.... Your acting like a pot sticker today bud...:eek::rotflmao:angel: Well heres the story on the heads. The heads have a factory mearsurement of between 4.795 to 4.805 thick. Thats measured from the bottom of the head to the valve cover gasket machined rail. Now what thickness your heads are is still an unknown to me or anyone but the shop that did all the work so far.. I'm going to guess they measured the head before all the work went into them. Now the better question to ask is why did they do all this work... Charge you for it if you can't use the heads... I don't know. So its my feelings you need to return the heads. Ask what the thickness is. If they give that deer in the headlites look pick up what you have and find another shop. No reputable shop will turn out work thats not going to make it on any engine... Unless they just don't care or don't know.. Now its possible someone was out the day you had all this work done and someone didn't know to check this out. Or someone was trying to imbarrasss the shop by saying to themselves... Its not my job to point out they missed this work... All I do is a valve job.. Some people will hammer on a vice all day long if they are getting paid for it... Others will ask why. How are you able to measure this combustion cut in the heads... There is no way a cut that deep in the heads will hold 500 lbs of compression. If the shop tells you they can't machine the heads because the precups are too hard then find another shop. Cutters are made to do this job of cutting cast iron and inconel material and they do not have to be removed to mill the head. If they tell you that ask them how are they going to mill the precups to fit the heads when the job is done. Just a note about the precups fitting the heads. They can be level or above or below the head by 2.5 thousands.. Thats plus or minus 0.0025... I hope this is clear.. Now something about the valve recession in the seats.. The intake is to be between 0.042 to 0.054 and the exhaust is to be between 0.051 and 0.063... This is the depth they are sunk in the heads.. If not please ask for more help....

tractorman86

Reaction score
Hey Al.... Your acting like a pot sticker today bud...:eek::rotflmao:angel: Well heres the story on the heads. The heads have a factory mearsurement of between 4.795 to 4.805 thick. Thats measured from the bottom of the head to the valve cover gasket machined rail. Now what thickness your heads are is still an unknown to me or anyone but the shop that did all the work so far.. I'm going to guess they measured the head before all the work went into them. Now the better question to ask is why did they do all this work... Charge you for it if you can't use the heads... I don't know. So its my feelings you need to return the heads. Ask what the thickness is. If they give that deer in the headlites look pick up what you have and find another shop. No reputable shop will turn out work thats not going to make it on any engine... Unless they just don't care or don't know.. Now its possible someone was out the day you had all this work done and someone didn't know to check this out. Or someone was trying to imbarrasss the shop by saying to themselves... Its not my job to point out they missed this work... All I do is a valve job.. Some people will hammer on a vice all day long if they are getting paid for it... Others will ask why. How are you able to measure this combustion cut in the heads... There is no way a cut that deep in the heads will hold 500 lbs of compression. If the shop tells you they can't machine the heads because the precups are too hard then find another shop. Cutters are made to do this job of cutting cast iron and inconel material and they do not have to be removed to mill the head. If they tell you that ask them how are they going to mill the precups to fit the heads when the job is done. Just a note about the precups fitting the heads. They can be level or above or below the head by 2.5 thousands.. Thats plus or minus 0.0025... I hope this is clear.. Now something about the valve recession in the seats.. The intake is to be between 0.042 to 0.054 and the exhaust is to be between 0.051 and 0.063... This is the depth they are sunk in the heads.. If not please ask for more help....

spoken like a true machinest...LOL;Sweet

Torinojts

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The heAds both measure 4.795. Exh valves are within spec 0.051-0.063. All closer to 0.052. Intakes measure from 0.052-0.059. One is at 0.057 and one at 0.059. Others are 0.052-0.054.