Greaseable or sealed ball joints?

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would say you need to grease way more often than every oil change. More like every other week, or at least once a month.
Kinda depends on the grease you use though.
I imagine it also depends on vehicle usage. If you’re mostly on the highway, greasing every oil change is probably more than sufficient. If you're going off-roading and ESPECIALLY if parts are submerged, then absolutely greasing needs to be done more often...once a month for dirt road, and immediately after getting out of the water if parts get submerged.

I've been using marine-grade grease for everything except the front wheel bearings (they got Amsoil synthetic) and greasing every oil change has served me well for 80K+ miles ;Sweet

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's true. I'm just going off experience with ujoints.
For what it's worth, I've been following the same practice with U-joints without issue. On the other hand, if memory serves, the marine-grade grease is tackier than normal stuff, so maybe it stays inside the various components better? I don't have enough experience with "conventional" grease to really have an opinion...I've pretty much only ever used marine-grade grease or some sort of synthetic...

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
I'm trying to switch to synthetic.
I've seen some other stuff I wanna try. Heard really good things about it. Especially for equipment.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Black dawg

Reaction score
I would say you need to grease way more often than every oil change. More like every other week, or at least once a month.
Kinda depends on the grease you use though.

Depends on many things, but most on highway stuff, every oil change is plenty.
I have used mine in conditions that I would grease atleast every other day (no water, just hard use) and used grease would come out black (used up). Same truck highway miles, grease barely discolored at oil change time.

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's true. I'm just going off experience with ujoints.

Spicer recommends every 3000 miles on U-Joints. Not sure on ball joints. I'll see what I can find.

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ford says every 15K for steering components. I'll assume a ball joint is a steering component. I do mine about every 6-8k with Moly grease which I believe to be supierer to non Moly greases. But it's more important to have grease in things vs no or old grease.I do the U-Joints every 3k or earlier.

jhenegh

Truck Still Earns its Keep
Reaction score
OK.

Spicer sealed joints are $140 after shipping from Rockauto.

XRF Greasable are $135 from thetireclub.com

I've got the front end torn down to the knuckles right now for inner differential seal, so now seems like agood time for new balljoints. But they feel totally tight. Even after pounding the spindles out.

Waystro

No Class
Reaction score
I like Greaseable. I got mine from 1AAuto which is a sponsor they've been on a year and so far are holding up. Very satisfied. The threads where messed up on one but got it refunded Even after I told them I re threaded it.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
I've actually heard the xrf are great.
When I was shopping for mine, it was closer to $300 for all 4. Lol couldn't find anywhere cheaper.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

texcl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just replaced my ball joints yesterday, I usedon't greasible units because that's what I had on hand. The originals were sealed and had 240k miles on them, they were really not that loose, so they held up pretty awesome. I'm replacing the middle and right axle u-joints with sealed units as they seem to last longer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alleycat

Members online

No members online now.