GRADE 8 BOLT/THREAD DIE ???

Brimmstone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This particular rear has studs, instead of bolts, and the axle-flanges also have the split-cone-washers that have matching recesses in the flange.

For now, I cut some appropriate length studs from a 7/16 carriage-bolt.

When I find it, I will replace with Grade-8 all-thread.

The reasons for the hubometer is that these trucks work by the loaded mile ON THE HUB, not what some GPS or Google-map says, so I like to have two witnesses to actual mileage, in case one should fail, as in a speedometer-cable break or the odometer go haywire.

I also have hubometers on the goosenecks.

Thanks.

Contact a good bolt supply place and they can get you some B7 all-thread or make you what you need. Youngstown Bolt in Youngstown, Ohio can make you anything you need if they don't have it in stock. I used to be their mechanic when I lived up there and had numerous short run special bolts made. If I remember correctly they have 7/16 B7 or A36 in stock.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I found B7 threaded-rod in 7/16x14 at McMaster-CARR in three-foot lengths.

I cut two three-inch studs, screwed them in two opposing flange-stud holes, ran the nuts up to torque, slid my homemade bracket over the studs against the nuts, and held the bracket with ny-lock nuts.

Now, I only have six more brackets to make, all alike, and everything will be hubmetered up.

Thanks for everyones input and help.