GP ?

hotford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 85-I think-6.9 with the bullet type gp harness. I have a set of spade type GP's that will fit it. What is the difference between the bullet and spade type gp's and is one better than the other? If the spade's are better can I just change the bullet to a spade on the harness. I hear everyone talk about the Motorcraft ZD-9's. Is that the one I need to go to. I just tried to call the local Autozone and they said that they don't carry that one. Also I need some new injector lines, is $50 each par for them. Can they be gotten cheaper somewhere? Oh, and I need a dipstick tube also, If someone has one laying around or can sorce a newone please help me out, I need it.

Thanks for all the help.
Chris

k_williams1982

'01 Excursion 4x4
Reaction score
I have a dipstick tube, and I think a partial set of injector lines (off of a 6.9). The old style relay (mounted on the back driver's side of the engine) uses the spade style GPs. The newer style relay uses the bullet style. I don't know if the glow plugs are different, but everyone I've talked to says the newer style (7.3 bullet style GP) relay is the better one to have. I was told that if the old style relay goes bad it will burn up all the GPs by leaving them "on", and that if the newer style goes bad, it won't burn up the GPs because it won't supply power to them. Anybody correct me if I'm wrong so that I know what the difference really is.

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
The solid state system (87) newer used the bullet style and they are not interchangeable. You need to determine what controller you have before deciding on the spade/bullet style. The solid state system measures voltage drop accross the glow plugs and adjusts glow time based on that, while the older style senses coolant temp and adjusts glow time based on that. The solid state style has a relay mounted at the back of the intake, but in your case, the previous owner may have mounted it elsewhere as an 85 didn't have it stock.

I've never owned the older style, but I can tell you the solid state system is great when it's working. I put new glow plugs and controller on mine about two years ago and haven't looked back. And...the solid state system generally (won't say always) fails off, while the older system often fails on, overheating the glow plugs which swell and then often break off when you try to remove them, leaving a piece of glow plug tip in the cylinder to do all kinds of nasty stuff. Poke here! Look around Ziggster's site, you'll see some of the effects of a glow plug tip that has broken.

hotford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
http://www.oilburners.net/articles/glowplugbypass.htm

The control module looks like this and is mounted on the firewall side top of the intake. The harness coming from it looks to be factory and has the bullet type conections on it. So looks like I have the better of the two set-ups, right? And I should go with the ZD-9 # glow plugs, right?

Thanks for all the help
Chris

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The only difference between the ZD-9 and ZD-1A glow plugs is the connector itself. Otherwise, it is the same animal. If your 85' has bullet style (ZD-9), you've been modded.

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
http://www.oilburners.net/articles/glowplugbypass.htm

The control module looks like this and is mounted on the firewall side top of the intake. The harness coming from it looks to be factory and has the bullet type conections on it. So looks like I have the better of the two set-ups, right? And I should go with the ZD-9 # glow plugs, right?

Thanks for all the help
Chris

Yep, that is the solid state controller.

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
The only difference between the ZD-9 and ZD-1A glow plugs is the connector itself. Otherwise, it is the same animal. If your 85' has bullet style (ZD-9), you've been modded.

Not what the Ford manual I have (somewhere) says...not that I ever trusted anything ford said! :)