Got Stuck... Bad

MandolinMan

Reaction score
Living in a rural area in central IN, the roads have been in pretty bad shape lately with all this snow, ice, and negative temperatures we've been having. Had to run into town today, first time I've been out in the last couple days, So I popped it in 4x4 and took it slow. Got to town fine where the roads were much better. While I was stopped I took it out of 4x4 and unlocked my manual hubs. Ran a few errands, and headed back home. Headed down a roughly plowed country road at about 30 mph in 2wd towards home when I guess I hit an extra slick spot and slid right into a ditch on my side of the road. Had to smash my breaks to keep from hitting a farmers fence so I came to a dead stop.

Got out and locked my hubs, which were buried under two feet of snow. Tried 4H and 4L, couldn't even rock myself in either direction. :mad:
Really stuck this time. Snow to my hood, truck on a steep incline, six inches away from a fence.

Guy drove by a few minutes later in a new dodge 5500 and pulled me right out. Anyway, got me to thinking...

Is it alright to leave the hubs locked when NOT in 4x4? I have a time or two before but at 50 mph seems I could hear something from the front end, So I haven't since then. Didn't see it in the owners manual, just wondering what you guys thought?

Realized also that 4x4 is to keep you from sliding off the road and getting stuck in the first place.

Right after I bought my truck a local farmer commented to me after seeing my truck: " Good looking truck. Now if you can only keep it out of the ditches this winter". He explained to me that a diesel engine sits like a one ton boat anchor in the front end and really affects handling on snow. Now I know what he meant!

Also, Do all four wheels spin in 4x4? Because it didn't seem like it.

All that to say, yesterday I couldn't imagine getting stuck in my truck with new tires and several hundred lbs. in the back. But trucks fine so its all good I guess.

Any of you fellows have any stories from the snow storms the last few weeks?

jhenegh

Truck Still Earns its Keep
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

Trying to open up a drift. Front end went up over it, front end came back down through it. Stuck just like you. Dug just a bit for good measure till my plowing partner arrived and pulled me back out.

We ended up doing that neighborhood with a payloader instead;Sweet

I leave my hubs locked anytime below 45mph if I see potential to use them. If I need to go faster or far, I unlock.

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you probably have two open diffs. usless IMO.
lockers or GOOD LSD are a must for snow driving in 4x4.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So long as your front diff and components are in good operational order yes you can leave hubs in at speed, it won't do anything except turn the axles turning ring, turning pinion turning driveshaft, but you can do this at speed and even shift into H range 4wd with the truck at 50 mph with these trucks just fine.

THE KEY

Good u joints on axles and drive shafts,
Good spindle bearings
Good seals
Good ball joints or king pins

The bad...FUEL ECONOMY goes for *****!

No in 4wd all four wheels don't spin, that is unless they have equal traction, however if one wheel on ice one on gravel one will spin, unless you have a traction aid like a POSI or LTD slip or a locker be it a manual one OX locker, Air locker or E locker of a detroit of a lunch box locker, there are pro's and cons to all the various types.

For the average Joe a good tight posi in rear and front is going to give you 4wd true 4wd

Want extreme 4 wd get a locker

Just remember that front diff and components need be tip top to run at speed hubs locked in!

JM2CW

Al

FarmerFrank

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had mine in a nasty drift last Friday night with a hill to the left of me and woods to the right. The more I gave it the closer to the woods I got. Knowing there was a field on the other side I finally punched it and got the nose pointing down hill and dodged the trees for about 100 yards. Went over a few logs But drove it 60 miles the next morning to work.

Russ

Idont do injectors
Reaction score
Just remember, even in 4wd a slick spot won't keep you on the road. Good tires and no sudden movements are the keys to driving in the snow. And a ton of weight over the rear axle helps too.

jhenegh

Truck Still Earns its Keep
Reaction score
Absolutely. You've always got 4 brakes & 4 tires. 4x4 doesn't stop and usually doesn't steer you faster when you're headed for trouble

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Many 4x4 trucks don't even have hubs these days so the front end is always turning in those. No issues at all with leaving your hubs locked

MandolinMan

Reaction score
I just looked up my axle code on my drivers side door frame and it shows that it's a limited slip ( code is C9). Noticed today that while my back right was spinning freely without traction, my back left wasn't turning at all. I thought the limited slip was supposed to prevent this? I'll have to take it out and do a little more 'testing'.

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Try pressing the brakes a little bit next time. Should load the carier a bit and might make both spin

Russ

Idont do injectors
Reaction score
A wise man once told me, "The only thing 4WD is good for is getting you further from the road before you get stuck." LOL

PackRat239

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I leave mine locked any time the roads are slick. That way I can just stop, reach down and shift into 4hi. Doesnt hurt my handeling at all, very little effect on mileage. Lockers are terrible for winter, slick road handeling. They always want to go straight.Even if that is not where YOU want to go.:rotflmao Thats what they are for. They go Straight! They dont turn worth a hoot.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tyler9828

Members online