Got Stuck... Bad

hce

So can i....
Supporting Member
Reaction score
4wd will keep the rear end from sliding out, on slippery roads. So there is a benefit for using 4wd on icy roads. It can cause a person to become overconfident and forget how bad the roads are though. That being said, I go with the theory when roads are interment ice I leave it in 4wd. Tires may where faster but they are cheaper then hitting the ditch at 60. Pretty much anything on the drivetrain affected by 4wd is cheaper then the ditch.

firehawk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine has the auto hubs. It seems like a simple design when I had it apart, so I would look into upgrading to that if I were you.

KyleQ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
4WD is really two wheel drive plus - 2WD is one wheel drive plus. I drove for two years with the hubs locked in - no ill affects, including driving 14 hr+ in 4wd at 80mph. MPG suffers, but at ANY SPEED you can toss it into 4WD instantly as long as you are not spinning the rear tires. When the hubs are locked everything is spinning up front as fast as the rear axle, meaning the t-case gears are going the same speed. As long as you are not skidding one axle or spinning the rear tires you won't even feel yourself going into 4wd.

The problem is the stupid Ford Sterling axles have absoulte **** for aftermarket support in the traction area. If there is an offering available, its expensive - too expensive. It would be cheaper to toss a 14B in the rear due to the locker availability and obvious strength.

If you want true 4wd you are going to need at least limited slip front and rear. I've been very happy with my trak-loc on and off road as well as any gear type torque biasing device (tru-track). Detroits can act funny - but they are predictable on what they are going to do.

Open diffs provide power to the wheel with the least resistance - one trick is to ride the brakes to equal out the actual resistant felt by the axle to get both tires to spin. It somewhat works, but anything mechanical is going to work better.

If you take anything away from this - remember these things.

You can totally drive around year round with the hubs locked in - it won't hurt anything. I've driven all of my manual hub vehicles at freeway speeds with no problems - it just hurts MPG's.
You can totally toss the truck into 4wd at any time as long as all the tires are spinning the same speed - if you lock up one axle (poorly maintained) or are spinning the rears it will grind the gears. It probably won't damage anything, but not a good idea.
If you want more traction you are going to want to add a locker of some sort. I've seriously considered putting a lunchbox locker in the front axle as when you want 4wd, you want 4wd and a locked front with the diesel over it will hook up every time. A locker out back is less useful as there isn't much weight over the rear tires.

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yeah its nuts. Id only buy a used one in good condition. half the price of the truck on a locker, no thanks.
realisticaly only need one on a dedicated trail rig.
What about that gear tru trac lsd? i forgot who makes it

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just looked up my axle code on my drivers side door frame and it shows that it's a limited slip ( code is C9). Noticed today that while my back right was spinning freely without traction, my back left wasn't turning at all. I thought the limited slip was supposed to prevent this? I'll have to take it out and do a little more 'testing'.
could be the clutches are really worn out and it's just not doing what it should.

Look into a clutch kit for your rear axle and rebuild that puppy, not super hard but moderately challenging, check out ebay for clutch kits or Ford!

If you have a D60 up front find a limited slip for a rear with 35 spline axles and stuff that in the front and then your set! Or if you can afford it a Detroit True Trac it's the bomb for sure! Got one in the ranger and it's nice very very nice!;Sweet

I WOULD NOT suggest Auto hubs, they are known for being unreliable and problematic at times. Keep it simple keep it manual. You obviously have the ability to get out and turn them in out as needed.

Always remember to use a good lube when running a posi rear as they create a ton of friction!

JM2CW

TWeatherford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you take anything away from this - remember these things.

You can totally drive around year round with the hubs locked in - it won't hurt anything. I've driven all of my manual hub vehicles at freeway speeds with no problems - it just hurts MPG's.
You can totally toss the truck into 4wd at any time as long as all the tires are spinning the same speed - if you lock up one axle (poorly maintained) or are spinning the rears it will grind the gears. It probably won't damage anything, but not a good idea.
If you want more traction you are going to want to add a locker of some sort. I've seriously considered putting a lunchbox locker in the front axle as when you want 4wd, you want 4wd and a locked front with the diesel over it will hook up every time. A locker out back is less useful as there isn't much weight over the rear tires.

I think this would only be true if you have manual hubs and they are locked in, correct? Otherwise you'd be slamming the front drivetrain to speed at once, not good.

How do the auto hubs work? I had them on my 94 and never had a problem. Manual seems like it might be more reliable but the autos were pretty nice.

firehawk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think this would only be true if you have manual hubs and they are locked in, correct? Otherwise you'd be slamming the front drivetrain to speed at once, not good.

How do the auto hubs work? I had them on my 94 and never had a problem. Manual seems like it might be more reliable but the autos were pretty nice.

The spinning axles when 4wd is engaged makes the hubs lock. When the axles are not spinning, the spring disengages the hubs. Simple design, and if you keep it maintained it should be fine. Never had a problem with mine, and I use 4wd often on our ranch.

KyleQ

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Yeah - manual hubs. Never had auto's on anything...

Auto hubs pull the clutch in via vacuum - as long as the seals are good and the hub isn't improperly serviced, they work great.... until you push the button and hammer down only to get buried. F those things-

firehawk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah - manual hubs. Never had auto's on anything...

Auto hubs pull the clutch in via vacuum - as long as the seals are good and the hub isn't improperly serviced, they work great.... until you push the button and hammer down only to get buried. F those things-

That is NOT how our trucks work. It is all mechanical.

Kevin 007

Full-floater
Reaction score
I enjoy the luxury of being able to use 4WD to go down icy hills as in 2WD the rear end is always locking up if the truck is in gear. I to often leave the hubs locked in if using 4WD often. I just try to make wider turns to be easier on the u-joint on the front axles. I would love to have a LSD up front. And an electric in the rear.

Studs were mentioned earlier....yeah they are great, but.....when the point wears off of them which happens pretty darn quick, they are known to slightly "lift" the tire some and the studs themselves are no longer sharp enough to bite. So I would rather have a no studs then worn out studs. Im running studs now in a set of Arctic Claws which are excellent tires but the studs are borderline over worn. I will not be using studs again unless im constantly on snow/ice covered roads where they won't wear so quick.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you are in a iffy situation, always leave the hubs locked in, you will have 4x4 when you need it. Even in patchy conditions with dry pavement, I have never had a problem leaving it in 4x4.

I will tell you another benefit from being in 4x4, braking. Especially if you have a automatic, the front wheels will have a tendency to lock up and the rear wheels on a automatic tranny truck will tend to keep pushing the truck. The 4x4 somewhat ties the front and the rear axles together, and also the brakes, so the brakes work together better in 4x4.

ironworker40

NYC Ironworker
Reaction score
tires tire tires!!!

I enjoy the luxury of being able to use 4WD to go down icy hills as in 2WD the rear end is always locking up if the truck is in gear. I to often leave the hubs locked in if using 4WD often. I just try to make wider turns to be easier on the u-joint on the front axles. I would love to have a LSD up front. And an electric in the rear.

Studs were mentioned earlier....yeah they are great, but.....when the point wears off of them which happens pretty darn quick, they are known to slightly "lift" the tire some and the studs themselves are no longer sharp enough to bite. So I would rather have a no studs then worn out studs. Im running studs now in a set of Arctic Claws which are excellent tires but the studs are borderline over worn. I will not be using studs again unless im constantly on snow/ice covered roads where they won't wear so quick.

Im glad some else said it. Tires are the most important part of the equation. You can have all the lockers you want but they are not going to do anything without proper tires. M&S all season tires are better than highway treads but, they are not snow tires. If you live in Georgia were it snows once or twice a year there okay. Anyone that lives in north should have a set of SNOW tires. Put them on in the winter. Take off in spring. That way you can run highway tread 8 months a year you get better wear better mpg and less noise and your fancy rims do not get messed up if you have them In the winter. Now studs are good if you drive mostly at low speed and short distances when roads do not have snow on them. High speed dry highway driving wears them out .They add to a snow tires traction but not for everyone. In my opinion snow tires should be mandatory in the north.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle