Got one! '97 12valve - at last.

lucky

lucky
Reaction score
Hi All:
Been looking for one for quite some time. Got it on the weekend! '97 ( built 12/96) Club cab, 8' box, 4x4, auto, red/grey, grill guard, etc etc, near mint. 154,000 km. I hope I don't wear out my welcome with too many questions.

I'm on the KDP and am looking at a steering stabilizer, the one that provides the steering box with another bearing and link s the front of both frame rails together. Anyone have good luck with this. Truck seems to wander, all looks tight on front end. I understand poor handling comes with the Dodge. Suggestions most welcome.

youngcummins

Reaction score
dad has the steering stabilizer on his 97 and likes it. alot tighter than it was without it but still not even close to my 96 2wd cummins. its a dodge 4x4 it has to steer bad

lucky

lucky
Reaction score
Travis:
Thanks for the tip on the column. I'll check it. I'm new to Cummins but not Dodge. I drove gas Dodge for 25yrs and it was always said that when you die you will go straight to heaven because you suffered enough on earth driving Dodge. I can say this because I walked the walk.

Anyhow I wanted the Cummins. It will tow a 5er about 7,000 lbs. Here I need some advice. I know the old 727 can't take the power but I don't know if 'as is' it will do a good job on the 6-7% long grades in Virginia and Pen. I thought a mild tweek might do. Shift plate forward (by the way, how do I get at it?), open up the intake and exhaust. Can I gut the cat in place or do I have to take it off? Intake and exhaust suggestions very welcome.

This thing is near mint with just under 100,000 on it. I sure hope this steering stabilizer makes the thing driveable (it don't handle like a Ford), it has an heavier track bar that seems tight. So I'll go with the DSS first.
Ken

lucky

lucky
Reaction score
DSS on its way, ordered it today.

I measured the track bar on the truck and it is larger than stock so someone had fingers in it.

I see the KDP kits don't come with a gasket, just RTV - what's best? Also, I found the TST site, tells all about fuel plate and KDP, great resource.

Should I replace the crank seal on an engine that's under 100,000?

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
if it were me I would replace it. because if you have luck like I do it will start leaking next week after you put it back together and you'll be back in there again. what's that seal cost? compared to you going back into it again....

lucky

lucky
Reaction score
Ya, I hear ya on the seal. I'm ordering the combo kit from TST, 230/605 plate and KDP kit (with seal).

Say, how big a hole do you need to gut the cat? I was thinkin' spin it on the pipes, use a hole saw, let the marblels fall out, and patch it and spin it back with the hole on top.

With the BHAF, does the hot air sucked in from around the turbo/exhaust offset the greater amount of air the BAHF lets in hmmmmmmmmm?

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
the air under hood is exchanged at such a high rate that trust me it doesn't matter - at highway speeds you would not believe the amount of air exchange that is happening.

lucky

lucky
Reaction score
DSS done. KDP finished today. You gotta love these sites. My pin was out about 3/16" when it got pushed back it went in 1/8" below flush. So doing this job was worth it. Who knows it might have stayed put till something else blew up but then again maybe not - worth the peace of mind.

I got the #8 plate the other day but will hold off till I see if I have enough snot as is for the fifth wheel trailer. A little twitchy about the 48RE. Some say 230hp and 605 torque (#8 plate) would be fine if I didn't horse it. But if you got it you use it. I also understand that over 1800rpm the pressure in the tranny will hold the clutches but to avoid pushing hard off the line under 1800rpm. Any thoughts?

lukeca

Reaction score
If you don't mind me asking how much did you pay for that truck? I'm looking at something similar, I'm just trying to get an idea of what is fair in today's market. Thanks!

lucky

lucky
Reaction score
I had to buy the truck with a slide-in camper as a package. Old lad wouldn't split it. I split it and sold the camper, when the smoke cleared I had
$8,500 in the truck. A lot for an old truck but it's the very one I was looking for. Good luck on your search.

lucky

lucky
Reaction score
Just got back from a 400km trip with the 5th wheel. At 100km got 18.5mpg (imperial), very pleased. Level going with very slight tailwind, trailer 7,000lbs + or -. Some hills, didn't pull as good as the old turbo/6.9 so it looks like fuel plate and 4" exhaust. I thought it would have more on the hills. Oh well, live and learn. I liked how slow the engine turned 1750 @ l00kph, nice.