got my factory turbo on, and all i can say is wow!!!

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
i have the stock air cleaner assy, hypermax cowl kit, stock down pipe into my 4 inch stack. no boost gauge yet. but i can hear that thing whistle all the time. almost sounds like a vw turbo, screaming. lol it is so high pitched.

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
i have the stock air cleaner assy, hypermax cowl kit, stock down pipe into my 4 inch stack. no boost gauge yet. but i can hear that thing whistle all the time. almost sounds like a vw turbo, screaming. lol it is so high pitched.

exactky how mine sounds

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
I eas agreeing to that my turbo whistles like hell, it whistles at idle, and at 1500 rpm it sounds like a jet airplane and just gets more from there:sly

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thats one bad ass bug.

I get turbo noise with mine too but a LOT more under the hood if the plastic air inlet to the filter box is removed. Sounded better without the muffler though.

Dirtleg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've got a 3" downpipe off the factory elbow into a 4" open exhaust. It whistles plenty. Way, way more than my 6.0 does. Sounds good too.

And on the topic of whistling VW's. In Brazil they have VW semis'. I heard on a few occasions one of them being shifted while pulling a heavy load. Damn! The whistle those things create was awesome.

George D.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thouse VGTs make them sing. I've heard some 7.3PSDs where the owner left the wastegate line off not plugged just off and they whistle like crazy could hear the whistle miles away but that was more of a massive boost leak causing the whistle but it sounded cool.