got me a new toy! turboed also!

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Before spending any money put a 15/16 inch socket on the crank pulley bolt and hand turn the motor thru at least one complete cycle. That will tell you if the motor is frre.. You bought something that was not running... Finding out the whys is the next item... Its kinda like a treasure hunt... Hopefully in the end you will find a treasure.... We are all on your side with this...
+1
Bar over the motor first.
Second. if the motor turns freely, quit screwing around with a burned up starter and go get a rebuilt one.

Shadetreemechanic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Try using a pair of jumper cable to isolate where your problem is. Example=one end on negative post and other on engine block to check engine ground. One on one negative and the other on the second battery negative to check connecting cable, etc.
Eventually you should find a bad cable, or else your starter is bad or the engine is too tight for some catastrophic reason.

greg_a_morton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I replaced one of the ground wires last night and the starter is new I put it on yesterday morning. I have to order a gear reduction starter to fit on my silver truck and if I haven't got it figured out by then I will put it on this truck to see what happens.

93iditurbo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
didnt you say u found the starter on the floor of the truck? are u sure its new? sounds to me like the starter is drawing way to much amperage

greg_a_morton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yea its a brand new starter. I had a friend come over to get another pair of eyes on it to see if we can figure out any thing. We did every thing like I did yesterday to see if we would have the same results and the same happened. It seems like there is a issue with the ignition. When you turn the key over it does not click or make a sound at the starting solenoid. Like I said yesterday if you cross the starting solenoid it will crank over a few times before the small wire gets hot. My friend said get under the truck and short between the power and the solenoid on the starter itself and see what happens. I got under the truck with the key on and crossed it and nothing. So for what ever reason it seems to me that with the large power cable hooked to it there is no power to it except through the small wire going to the solenoid on the fender. Could this be a grounding issue to the starter itself? I am going to go check voltage at the power wire on the starter now that I am thinking about it.

seawalkersee

It needs a turbo...
Reaction score
I think it is the 1" exhaust pipe on the back of that bad boy.

Oh...and its not a ground issue. There is too much power going through the little wire. You should be sending power down the fat wire you say has no power. Check to see why that is. THEN, jump the selonoid and it SHOULD fire up.

SWS

greg_a_morton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well found one problem when I took starter back off. I had put the small starting solenoid wire on the wrong prong. It has the big then a little one in the middle and then the one attached to the solenoid on the starter and I had it on the solenoid one instead of the one in the middle. I got pretty happy when I found that and new that was what was causing my issue but no! I got up and went around and turned the key over and still nothing. I left the key on and went and shorted across the solenoid on the fender and now it will throw the starter out but will not turn it??:dunno I got up under my truck and tested it and it was showing over 12volts. There has to be something in the ignition or another wire that must go somewhere to tell it to give it the power? Apparently the people that owned it got rid of it because they could not get it started either. Is there a simple wiring diagram that yall know of that shows me the wiring of the starter and where to start looking ignition wise?

oh and in the picture the exhaust does look small for some reason but it is the ats 3" full exhaust.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
The starter may still be the problem. We have no way of knowing why it was sitting in the floor of the cab so... Remove the starter and have it tested or test it yourself outside the truck. I would really install another starter that you know works fine. Then you will know the condition of the found starter. Any chance the found starter is a gear reduction starter... If not just get rid of it. They just don't spin these motors fast enough to make enough compression heat to ignite the diesel for combustion...

milightfo

BLACK SMOKE
Reaction score
x2 on trying another starter,the prior owner may have cooked that starter even though it looks new,go to autozone and have it tested,i had the same experiance with a new looking starter.

greg_a_morton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
it was new in the box in plastic. It worked fine when I hooked it up out side the truck. It is the long style starter. For some reason the power from the big wire is not jumping across when the firewall solenoid is jumped or the key is turned on.

milightfo

BLACK SMOKE
Reaction score
have you tried to turn the motor useing a socket and ratchet off the crank pully?

93iditurbo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
even though the starter is brand new doesnt mean it works fine, ive had brand new parts that were faulty. go get another starter. and make sure you have the excite wire on the proper terminal on the starter.

greg_a_morton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the exite wire I assume your talking about is the one that goes in between the two terminals to engage the power? I am trying to also figure out why when I turn the key it does nothing and think that is part of my problem. If there is no signal from turning the key on then there has to be some bad wiring somewhere.