Got another truck today.......For free!

spyder1100

Reaction score
As the title says, got anther truck today.... for free! At work all we buy at work are powerstrokes. About a year ago, one of the guys was driving his company truck back from a job when it died on the side of the road. We had it towed back to the shop from South Carolina. since it came back, I have been telling them to try the CPS as it's a very common problem with those engines. No one would ever try it. Our shop mechanic said the engine is blown. He never even popped the hood! Well, now to today. They were going to haul it off as junk. I asked them if I could have it. They told me just to get it off the yard by Saturday. I said I'll have it out of there today, if I can have the title. After the title was signed over to me, I went to Advance and got a CPS. Put it in, fired it up, and drove it around with my boss on a "joy ride". All the guys at work were amazed that that's all it was, after I've been telling them that for a year. Anyways, the truck runs great, no one has any hard feelings towards me,(company got the truck off the yard), and I got a free 99 F250. Talk about a good day at the office!

On a side note. That mechanic is no longer with us, for various other reasons.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Go buy a lottery ticket, and share. Great score. BTW that is a good way to show up a closed minded mechanic.

geonc

SPIDER BAIT
Reaction score
Way to score! ;Sweet and I second buying a lottery ticket :D

So...I guess their "mekanik" learned a thing or two about a thing or two :thumbsup:

Now...who ya got in tonights Duke vs Carolina game LOL

Last edited:

seawalkersee

It needs a turbo...
Reaction score
I will....pay you for the CPS, $100.00 an hour for your labor and come get it off of your hands. Deal?

SWS

spyder1100

Reaction score
Well, now they know why the mechanic never liked me coming around him while he was "working" on something. At one point I was his boss, but he begged to be reassigned to someone else, primarily because I had more experience as a mechanic than he did. Have documented proof to that. Plus it really did give them a slap in the face for not listening to me. Just because I'm a young guy doesn't mean I don't know what I'm talking about.

I didn't want to ruin my good luck for the day buying the lottery ticket. My luck is almost never that good. As my luck usually is, I'd buy the ticket on the way home, and the engine would burst into flames, I'd run across the median, hit a truck head on, go over the over-pass onto the interstate, and cause a 12 car pile up. Then my ticket with the winning number, which is now burnt due to the flames of the accident, would turn out to be the only winning ticket. With me in the hospital racking up several tens of thousands of dollars in bills. Didn't want to jinx anything. LOL

VanBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh damn!!!

So, what's the specs on this 99??? Pickup box or work box? 2 or 4 wheel? Custom, XL or XLT? Regular cab or extened or crew? How many miles on it? Auto or trans.....

But still..... for a mechanic to just say "it's done" with out even putting the scanner on it..... :puke: That's just wrong. Work's loss, your gain! :hail:hail

6.9poweredscout

Bleeds IH red...
Reaction score
man nice score! ;Sweet that'd be the ticket for the Powerstroke IH pickup i want to build one day, although hat's not for a while, still need to finish the orange scout. cookoo

-Jon

spyder1100

Reaction score
Got some pics from when we were actually trying to sell it. Couldn't get any offers on it at all. It's a XL, 2wd, longbed. Not sure of the miles. They had to replace the instrument cluster before it died. I think it only has like 140 to 150k on it. New trans too. Trans only has about 10k on it! I'll have to pull all the service records on it to make sure tho. Still not bad for a free truck. Total invested so far: $50 for a CPS with the company discount. Satisfaction for proving how lame the mechanic is, and getting a truck in the process:priceless!

Attachments

• P7100013.JPG
    P7100013.JPG
    877.2 KB · Views: 45
  • P7100014.JPG
    P7100014.JPG
    877.9 KB · Views: 20
  • P7100015.JPG
    P7100015.JPG
    864.3 KB · Views: 37

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
That's one nice looking rig;Sweet You ought to at least paint it a different colour if you plan on driving it to work any. Wouldn't want to rub your bosses nose in it after a steal like that :D Might cut the pain some.