Got a IDI question

LUCKY_LARUE60

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Haven't been here for a while as I got rid of all my IDI's all I have now is my Power Stroke, a friend called me and was asking me what the temp sensor was called that controls the fast idle. I didn't have answer for him. Seems his is acting up and will turn on the fast idle randomly. Says it gives him a thrill when he is coming to a stop and the fast idle kicks on. Dealer has no idea what it is called and have no parts list on a IDI.

fury9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the high idle is part of the ip i think. not sure how it is controled though

just my .02 , high idle solenoid? edit , I just saw that somewhere in the forums, and I have been looking at how to make my cruise work ........I swear I've seen that somewhere

fx4wannabe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok there is a temp sensor that controls the high idle solinoid and the cold timing advance. two wires that connect to it. Guessing that would be a good starting point the heck the high idle solinoid.

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
ok there is a temp sensor that controls the high idle solinoid and the cold timing advance. two wires that connect to it. Guessing that would be a good starting point the heck the high idle solinoid.

Agreed, the sender is right beside the IP on the driver's side in the head I think.

IIRC the high idle is the red wire with the white stripe and connects to the sensor beside the IP It connects to the harness plug at the top row, 3rd pin in from the left (the first pin is a "blank", with no wire in it on my harness, so it would actually be the 2nd wire from the left as viewed from the top)

There is another sensor on the drivers side head that is beside the exhaust manifold, ignore that because IIRC it is the water temperature sender for the temperature gauge in the cab.

Jake S.

clueless...
Reaction score
The temp sender for the high idle is right behind the upper rad. hose/thermostat housing. On the pass. head. Not sure of the exact name though.

dave186

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think they refer to it as a temp switch. Mine is bad and I called the dealer for a new one, it was $50 so i just put in a toggle switch. no luck finding one at NAPA.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin

Members online