Good times with an old friend

Dirtleg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sadly I have not been using the IDI to tow with since I bought the 06'. It has been primarily a farm truck for the last 2 years and since the last time I got up hay with it (about a year ago) I have been worried that the E4OD was getting too slippery to put a load behind it. Since I use it almost daily on the farm I felt it would be better to keep it on light duty and avoid the expense and downtime of a transmission rebuild right now.

Well this week I needed to haul the pigs to the slaughterhouse on the same day I had an appointment to have the 06' inspected. So out of necessity I hooked up the trailer, which is a heavy old steel 2 horse with manger and living quarters trailer. Even the 06' feels ugly with this trailer so I know it's got some significant weight although I've never actually weighed it.

Since I have EGT and transmission temp gauges on the IDI I felt I could safely make the trip. Since I last towed with it I have installed the Moose pump and it can roll the EGT's like nobodies business. I figured the trailer would be scary in the EGT department but I'm not stupid (I hope) and figured I can just back out of it if need be.

Well I must say none of my fears were legitimate. I was very impressed with the way the truck pulled this load. The transmission never got over 160* and the EGT's were very much under control. I was so pleased that this morning when I went to drop off a cow at the same place I took the IDI instead of the 06'. I found out today that the harder I ran it the easier was to keep the EGT's under control. If I could keep the boost over 8 psi I had enough power to pull any of the hills I experienced (OD off) without the EGT's getting too high. If I let the boost drop too low it was harder to stay under 1200* on the hills.

Now I have pulled 14K with it before when it was NA I was just really pleased at how well it performed for me this week in the short but steep rolling hills around here. It felt really good to spend some enjoyable time on the road in this truck again.;Sweet

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
I love it when the old standby gets to shine!! Its hard to describe the no frills, get the job done attitude an IDI gives ya.:sly

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I just run my rig without careing what the other trucks are doing on the road.... Sure.. The newer rigs look good and.... They have cup holders but.... They have monthly truck payments. My license tags are due the end of this month....I owe the state 169.00 for the next year....:eek::rotflmao:D Thats for a crewcab that can pull the paint off many other rigs on the road and.... Its paid for.... I can install cup holders but I wont make payments to have a truck that comes with them. My Moose pumped BTS with a GV behind it just gets the job done ....:sly I tell ya what... If I was not a man I would be doing this as I passed the newer rigs....:moon:-Showtits:flipa:rotflmao

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alleycat