Good price on a running engine?

wmoguy

Reaction score
I'm looking at picking up a spare engine locally (and building up an IDI engine a little this winter) and was wondering if I would be paying a decent price. It's a 92 engine from an F250 (n/a) Complete and running engine. Guy says $450 is his bottom line.

I figure I"ll grab some SCA strips and take them with me before purchase. Block worm is my biggest scare really. I figure I'll ship the heads off and have them done up nice, and some other misc. stuff. Block worm would be a deal killer, I don't wanna spend the $$ to sleeve an IDI. But, do you think $450 for a complete running engine is a decent price?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Yes... I feel thats a fair price for a decient running engine. Problem is determining thats what your paying for. Even seeing every part laying on a bench will not tell you anything about a cavitation issue. Now if the coolant is all rust you might stiil be ok but its a chance you need to take... These are strong engines and parts are really easy to find. Nearly every part of any 6.9 is the same as the 7.3. Clearly someone was thinking when they made these engines.

SparkandFire

We're drinking beer
Reaction score
I bought the black truck for $800 with the sole purpose of getting a running, descent engine. It was nice being able to drive it a while and make sure it was a good engine before swapping it into the '94 truck.

$450 for a running engine isn't a bad deal. $450 for scrap iron sucks. Like all things in life it's a 50/50 crapshoot.

Any way you could fire it up and take a listen? :dunno

flareside_thun

Reviving The General Tao
Reaction score
450 ain't bad at all. I had one I was trying to get rid of for 500 that runs tight as hell. All you can do is give it a good thorough look and then go from there. Sometimes you've just gotta jump in with both feet.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
The engine in my truck now was from an ebay seller that said it was pulled because of high miless. He drove back and forth from Victorville Ca to Tijuna Mexico. I paid 85.50 for it sitting in his back yard. Desert sand all over it and lots of black oily dirt. No injecters or cover on the intake either. No problem because I planned to sleeve it during the rebuild. Well I got it home and tried to run it over. I got about 300 degrees of a full revolution and it stopped. So I tried it the other direction till it stopped again... No problem... heads came off.... Still would trun completely.. Then I noticed number 5 piston had not moved....:mad: So off comes the pan only to find the rod snapped off the crank. No block or crank damage. Just kinda pissed off that some guy tried to fool me... A good member here posted what I should do. He told me to drive back to the little guy and tell him the engine ran great so I just cleaned and painted it and put it in... Best I didn't do that... Who knows what would have happened... I got a good deal but it was looking really bad for some time there...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin