Glowplug Yellow Wire Bypass... What Size Fuse?

idi_econoline

No Bed For Me!
Reaction score
Yeh, the glowplug wires melted their end of the big connector. Been living dangerously, with no fuse, #6 wire, battery to GP relay.

Anyone know off hand what size mega fuse I should use to protect this big circuit?

TIA

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There was a lengthy debate on this a little while back. I'm running a mega fuse on mine, but there were a couple guys with a much more extensive electrical knowledge who said you shouldn't and you're much better off running a fuseable link instead.

To directly answer your question I'll go look in a little bit to see what size my fuse is. 150amp is not enough, don't remember if I'm running 200amp now or what.

idi_econoline

No Bed For Me!
Reaction score
Ah, awesome! TYVM, chillman88. :hail

Now, to find my hydraulic crimper in the garage...... :confused:

I did run a "glowplug bypass fuse size" search, no results. I don't do enough searches here to know the tricks.

Philip1

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am currently running a 200amp circuit breaker however when I measured the current draw it peaked around 250-260 amps or so then drops as the plugs heat up. So far it hasn't tripped the breaker however it hasn't gotten cold yet. When I get the chance I plan on replacing it with a 250amp breaker instead.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am currently running a 200amp circuit breaker however when I measured the current draw it peaked around 250-260 amps or so then drops as the plugs heat up. So far it hasn't tripped the breaker however it hasn't gotten cold yet. When I get the chance I plan on replacing it with a 250amp breaker instead.

I'm in NY and mine has been perfectly fine for two winters now. Keep the 250 in the glove box just in case the 200 burns out. You shouldn't have any issues.

nelstomlinson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Circuit breakers typically have a thermal trip, so the current has to be high enough for long enough to heat the mechanism enough to cause the trip. That's similar to the behavior of fuses.

The inrush current is probably 400A or more, but it drops off pretty quickly to under 200A, so we definitely don't need to size the circuit protection to handle the peak. Chillman's picture is probably adequate design guidance.

Is there a manufacturer of these breakers who publishes an inverse time curve?