Glowplug Leaking

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey fellas, I am getting my engine together after having a problem with bubbles in cooling system. Now that I have solved that problem, I am almost ready to drop this thing back into my truck.
A while back, I noticed that one of my glowplugs was not seating correctly & letting exhaust gases past the plug threads. I didn't think anything of it until today when I looked down the glowplug bore in head. It looks like a piece of the seat is missing. Rather than taking engine back apart for the 100th time, I was thinking about using some kind of thread sealant. A member here suggested using teflon tape. I have attached a couple links to thread sealants I was looking into. Your thoughts?

https://www.permatex.com/products/t...sealants/permatex-pneumatichydraulic-sealant/

https://www.permatex.com/products/t...nts/permatex-high-temperature-thread-sealant/

https://www.permatex.com/products/t...nts/permatex-high-performance-thread-sealant/

You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nobody?
Well I'm going to try the permatex hi temp thread sealant and see if that holds up under the egts.

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
Re cut the seat.
Any type of sealant will either blow back out or play hell at getting the glow plug back out in one piece down the road.

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't think I can cut the seat. There's a big chunk missing and think the glowplug would protrude too far into the precup if I did that. Looks like I would have to remove a hell of a lot of material for it to ever seal again.
Looks like I might have to either drill it out and tap in a new sleeve, which sounds a little difficult, or try to use some sort of sealant.
Now that I look at it further, it looks like maybe a glowplug got stuck in it and someone tried to drill it out, but didn't get the angle right. These heads came off a different engine.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Get a seat cleaner for the glow plug. Then clean out the CARBON that looks like a broken seat.. I'm betting someone did not install that glow plug all the way in. Any chance you remember if that one stuck out more than the other 7...

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Get a seat cleaner for the glow plug. Then clean out the CARBON that looks like a broken seat.. I'm betting someone did not install that glow plug all the way in. Any chance you remember if that one stuck out more than the other 7...
It's recessed the same as the other 7. It is definitely not carbon.

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I decided to use permatex hi temp sealant on the glowplug. So far it has not leaked & is holding up well to egts & combustion pressures. Looks like this stuff really works.

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Honestly, even if it /didn't/ seal, I wouldn't be too concerned. The amount of leakage through the threads is going to be extremely minimal, compared with the amount leaking past the rings etc.
Plus, I expect that it'll eventually plug itself with carbon and that'll be that.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online