glow plugs

brent64505

Reaction score
Hi all i posted this question on th 6.5 forum I looking at a 93 Chevy and owner says it need new glow plugs will the glow plugs swell like the ford plugs ? after 8hours and no reply I thought i would try here
thanks Brent

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Brent, actually the real Ford glowplugs (Motorcraft ZD-1A or ZD-9A, also known and Beru as they're made in Germany) don't swell, they are for all intents and purposes the best glowplugs that one can put in the IHC engines we have. I ain't sure if they will thread in the heads of the 6.5 tho, I know we Ford-IDI guys can use the old 5.7 (diesel 350) glowplugs and I've done it, but I ain't got no clue as to what exactly the Chevy-IDI uses...

brent64505

Reaction score
I have a 86 f250 with the 6.9 I put a set of welmans or some thing like that and they are a joke changed out the ones i could get out with the Motorcraft I dont want to get this Chevy and not get the glow plugs out to change

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had Wellmans in my truck, they all cam off easy, even tho two were bad and I used to glow the other 6 manually for 10 seconds. My buddy's 86 tho had one swollen plug, I managed to get it out by soaking it with WD-40 and then carefully screwing it out, like you would do with a long bolt - from the looks of it when it came oit, the intake kinda-sorta cut threads in the swollen glowplug tip as it was coming out.

brent64505

Reaction score
I still have 4 wellmans and 4 good motorcraft in my truck and it still starts ok down to about 35

I guess the chevy guys dont know if the delco glow plugs swell if over heated as I have not had a reply

Papabear

Papabear
Reaction score
build a tester and buy whatever glow plug you wanna try hook up a 12v power source and see what happens like let the plug glow for like 6 - 12 hrs if it swells try a different brand that would be my suggestion

NCheek

Howdy
Reaction score
Six to twelve hours at 12v is going to fry any 6v plug, but if you have the cash to spend, doing research never hurt. While your at it you might try the Borg Warner plugs that have recently been advertised on this site...

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I second Nick on the Borg Warner plugs, so far I've seen no reports on how they work - I'd give them a shot, but my truck is my daily driver and I can't afford potential screw-ups.

brent64505

Reaction score
If and when I try to get the wellmans out I will go back with motorcraft

I was just trying to find out if the delco swell up and you cant get them out

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My buddy's 86 tho had one swollen plug, I managed to get it out by soaking it with WD-40 and then carefully screwing it out, like you would do with a long bolt - from the looks of it when it came oit, the intake kinda-sorta cut threads in the swollen glowplug tip as it was coming out.

That's what I'm trying to get to happen right now. The new engine for the Night Moose has a plug of unknown manufacture stuck in #8. At least the engine is not in a truck.

brent64505

Reaction score
my truck has been starting on 4 or 5 motorcraft for a year now and I plug it in when it get down to 35 I put it on a timer to come on about 2 hours before I have to head out