glow plugs

69oiler

I don't feel tardy
Reaction score
i need to replace my GPs before winter. what will i need to have on hand besides new glow plugs?

firegod33

Reaction score
Do you need GP's or the GP relay? I had a problem last winter with hard cold starts. Turned out to be the relay. $108 at the dealership and 10 minutes later it cold started fine.

69oiler

I don't feel tardy
Reaction score
the light in the dash comes on but i get no heat. i had to plug it in the last half of last winter.

firegod33

Reaction score
When it's cold enough to make a difference in starting, jump the posts on the GP relay to bypass it. Jump them for about 10 seconds, then try to start it. If it lights right up, the relay has gone south. It's worth checking before you go digging for the GP's.
BTW, when I shopped around, the dealership was actually less that half the price of all the parts houses around. Got the best deal on my CPS there, too.

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I bet the GPR is shot, though if you have never put GP's in it they could be bad as well. The little relays (stock) are only good for a couple(maybe few)years. If you can locate the heavy duty one it will be the last time you ever need to replace a GPR.

jharvey

Shutter Bug
Reaction score
Rob, when not if you replace the GP relay go with the Stancor 586-902. It's a heavy duty relay and cost about $50-$60.

Newark sells them Stancor Relay

Double-S-Diesel

parts seller
Reaction score
new motorcraft relay, new motorcraft gps, new uvch's or at least the updated clips, crankcase breather o rings cleaner. rags, good inch lb tourque wrench.
or just bring it out and we'll fix er up.

Last edited:

69oiler

I don't feel tardy
Reaction score
the GP relay is the one on top of the engine next to the fuel filter right? it's definitely working. checked it with my multimeter and it comes on with the key and goes off after a minute or less, i didn't time it.

69oiler

I don't feel tardy
Reaction score
i know they're under the valve covers.. which are under the IC pipes.. among other things.

Double-S-Diesel

parts seller
Reaction score
I have had gp relays with voltage but not amps,
coorect way to check is with an amp clamp, that will tell how many amps gps are pulling, but with the miles Id replace the gps and the relay anyhow.

69oiler

I don't feel tardy
Reaction score
i went to Autozone today and got 8 new Beru plugs for 2.99 each. that was a welcome bargain;Sweet

Nick i have the Ujoints for the front axle and the glow plugs. what else should i get? you gonna get the seals for the vac hubs and any other stuff we'll need?

weekend of Dec. 8 we're doing front axle UJ's, GP's and a new MBRP 4" stainless exhaust on my truck at Nick's shop.