glow plugs inop

1990idi

Reaction score
ALRIGHT MY WAIT TO START LIGHT QUIT COMING ON ABOUT TWO WEEKS AGO, I WAS BEING HOPEFUL AND THINKING MAYBE ITS JUST THE WARM WEATHER. ANYWAYS MY GLOW PLUGS AND WAIT TO START LIGHT SHOULD HAVE COME ON LASAT NIGHT BUT THEY DIDNT. SO WHERE DO I START?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Might look at the engine main wire harness plug. If its melted that usually from the corrosion at the 2 yellow wires that supply main power to the controller. Its best to bypass that coupled wire and run a separate lead directly from the fender solenoid to the controller from 6 gauge wire. I found speaker wire that you find at any stereo or radio install shop has most any gauge wire for the huge amps some like to run on their boom box earth shattering sound cans.

1990idi

Reaction score
where is the glow plug controller? im assuming the relay yawl are talking about is the relay on the passenger fender by the battery that is also the starter relay?

4x4manonbroke

Diesel Master
Reaction score
the GP solenoid is on the back of the Intake manifold..

Install a resetable breaker in between the Relay and the wires going to the GP relay -- JUST in case there is a short ... it will pop and save you some blue smoke education

1990idi

Reaction score
alright inspected my engin e harness connector, no corrosion or loose pins their. i traced the two yellow wires, they turn into black with orange stripe i traced one to the solenoid on the fender, it is tight no bad connection their. i couldnt tell where the other black and orange wire went though.... i inspected the wiring on the glow plug controller all the connections were tight. im not the best with electrical but if i know what im looking for on eachwire i can figure them out...

1990idi

Reaction score
ohmed out my glowplugs, 7 out of read .3-.8 ohms. one read 32.8 k ohms so i have one dead plug but that shouldnt kill the whole system should it? checked power at my glow plug controller and had 12 volts on the 2 yellow wires, white wire has 12 volts, other pins had nothing... shouldnt the other big pin on the relay have 12volts?

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Only when the relay is engaged, will you get power on the big output terminal.
One plug can throw it off.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk