Glow plugs drivin me crazy

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
Remove this diagram, it is not correct - your first one was the correct one. Also, on both diagrams you forgot one wire - it's a red/green wire that connects to the same terminal of the relay as the red/green wire you already have on the diagrams, but its other end is inside the controller - this wire is what turns the controller on when ignition is turned on.

Gotcha. I will update for the red/green wire as well. I thought something looked wrong with my second pic as it was a closed system...with no keyed input.

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
Remove this diagram, it is not correct - your first one was the correct one. Also, on both diagrams you forgot one wire - it's a red/green wire that connects to the same terminal of the relay as the red/green wire you already have on the diagrams, but its other end is inside the controller - this wire is what turns the controller on when ignition is turned on.

How's this look Lcam?

I went and looked at my truck jsut to be sure and I think this is 100% correct.

You must be registered for see images attach

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
Manual GP's - the only way to fly IMHO....The will never leave you stranded as they will always burn if you flip the switch....You can extend the life of the GP's with less burn time than the controller would cause.....I have yet to replace one GP since I installed the manual controls and the truck starts great....Now if I can just find time to get the old pig in the shop to find that damn air instrusion point into the fuel system...LOL...Maybe this weekend.

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, my latest creative actions involved just that - ripping all wires going to and from the controller, thus leaving me with just the manual plugs and nothing else. I may still do what Franklin2 has on his truck and disconnect the key-on red wire too and jump that terminal off the big constant power one, this way I don't even need ignition to be on to have glowplugs (my FSS is already on manual switch fed off battery power, so in case the fuse panel fries I don't even have to jump it).

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
My FSS is powered by an auxillary 80A relay mounted on the firewall - it powers all my work lights, roof light and dump box switch....Just needs 12V to close and I'm good to go.

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
40 amp relay for mine, also powers the alternator. My lights have their own dedicated relays, one relay per every 200W of lights.

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
replace all 8 autolites right now! as for the terminal connection i went to a hardware store and got 8 heat shrink female bullet connectors, take a glow plug with you to make sure it will fit nice and tight. the wire to the glow plugs is 14 gauge. cut the old connectors off and pinch these on. you will need to tirm some of he shrink stuff off the end that connects to the glow plug, and only shrink the end that goes to the wire.

and David, till winter is over and your not freezing your kahonies off, just use the hair dryer again:rotflmao

:rotflmao I would but its the girlfriends truck also

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know what I was thinking, you guys are correct, the red wire is powered by the keyswitch, and mine is still like that. I have to turn the key on before I can use my manual pushbutton. Sorry about that.

You must be registered for see images attach

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntjapkes

Members online