glow plugs and timing

88beast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok so i been trying to figure out why zd9s keep blowing out in the diesel and someone mentioned timing. advanced timing will kill gps. but can retarded do this too? my pump is retarded a good bit from base (i think it has loosened up and pulled back gradually over time) anyone know if too little timing will kill a glow plug?

because if it is not timing then it is a 12v source direct but im adding the stock controller back in and want to know if this will fix everything before shelling out more money for plugs again. also it is retarded smokes whitish grey not black so that is a key for not enough fuel that i know.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Well how many miles are on the injection pump and injecters. Over time the injection pump does loose time and goes retarded plus injecters loose spring pressure after about 5000 miles. More after about 50,000 miles plus. I would suggest driving to Mels at Conestoga Diesel in Pa seeing you live in the same state. He can time it for you. Running retarded timing wont ruin the plugs but too much advance tends too. The smoke really isn't a good way to determine advance or retarded timing. Only a meter will tell you that.

88beast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
not sure on total miles it was pulled off a running motor. id rather rent a meter mel is a bit of a drive and quite busy

assuming timing is good i have not heard of an issue with 12v direct to plugs killing them so fast so now im about lost to the cause.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RustyNail351

Members online