glow plug replacement.

phazertwo

Die Summer DIE!
Reaction score
Just about to pull the plugs on my 7.3. I hope that they all come out, but I know they are mixed flavors so my hopes are not too high.

Anyway, I searched for this in the tech section but found nothing. Do I need to anti-seez the treads, or any other coating for that matter?

Also, If you do get a stuck plug, what is the best way to get it out?

PZ

P.S. with all the issues with swelled plugs, I just assumed there was something in the tech section. Maybe time to start one?

Matrix37495

The Amish Wolfman
Reaction score
I read somewhere about someone put a drill on a swelled glowplug and sprayed pb blaster on it while spinning it pulling very carefully....

phazertwo

Die Summer DIE!
Reaction score
On my new Beru plugs they were already coated.

The old ones all came out with no trouble at all. Not even one was a little swollen!

PZ

phazertwo

Die Summer DIE!
Reaction score
Yeah, but I think my GP system have have issues other places too. Still didn't start as easy as I think it should.

PZ

mabc926

Mojo
Reaction score
If the GP controller is bad I'd just put in a push button, that's what I did on mine and I think it's just fine, but I also have the old style GP system so I don't know how easy a push button would be on the new style.

Matrix37495

The Amish Wolfman
Reaction score
Mine started with the new system, but the controller was beyond shot.... terminals pulled out of the sol. housing....

Now it's a starter relay triggered by a switch in the cab...

opusd2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And you always know when they are working as well as how long. That's my setup

SLC97SR5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I replaced my original BERU plugs with BERU's today.
The originals went 112k! I observed a slight decrease in diameter and length of the tips on the old plugs.
3 GP's showed open and one had very high resistance, that's four inoperative plugs and it was manifest by a very quick WTS light (3sec) and difficult starting at 30*.

It starts much better and has a nice long 10-12sec WTS light!

FTR: I coated the threads with Pure Nickle Anti-Seize rated for 2400*F

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
I have manual Beru GP's in my truck - one of the best mod's I've done to the truck....Most times 5 seconds is all I need for a cold start and I haven't burned out a GP since I've converted the GP's to manual. If the engine has any heat in it at all GP's are un-necessary. I have a large red light in the dash to warn you when the GP's are on.

phazertwo

Die Summer DIE!
Reaction score
I have no interest in manual glow plugs. I am following the K.I.S.S. (keep it simple stupid) so that I don't have to teach anyone (including my wife) what to do to drive the truck.

Seems after the plugs have been burned a few times, they are working better. I will have to try them at a lower temp tho.

PZ

SLC97SR5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have no interest in manual glow plugs. I am following the K.I.S.S. (keep it simple stupid) so that I don't have to teach anyone (including my wife) what to do to drive the truck.

Seems after the plugs have been burned a few times, they are working better. I will have to try them at a lower temp tho.

PZ

Did you ohm out the new plugs to verify they really are good? Remember, you are looking for .5-1.0 ohm for a good plug out of the package. I test mine on the rubber that seperates the radiator from the air intake/grille area. I could not obtain an accurate reading with the GP's installed in the head.

Do you have a solid connection at the bullet/GP interface?

Does the GPR afterburn them, continue to pulse them after starting?

What is your ambient temperature and how long does your WTS light remain illuminated?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online