GLOW PLUG QUESTION

mopwrd340

Reaction score
My glow plugs stopped working so i jumped the relay and the light came on .while it was running the relay was clicking every 10/15 seconds i assume this is a timer how important is this timer except for startup .:dunno

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
The relay you hear clicking on and off is the glowplugs cycling on and off. you don't want them to be running the way they are for you. it sounds as though your glow plug controler is shot.

Silver Burner

Burnin' Oil&Rubber
Reaction score
I discovered, at least with my truck, that low batteries caused my controller to start clicking like it was shot. As soon as I got a good charge on the batteries again, as in lots of available amps, the clicking stopped and it has worked perfect ever since.

mopwrd340

Reaction score
I have a good battery charge i guess i will get a new controller for it at least i can start it now without using ether . i will just un hook the small wire off the relay once it starts . thank you

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Could just switch to manual glowplug control. Some people worship the youngest 7.3 controller but I prefer simple and reliable.

Also manually jumping it like that, it can flicker off and on when arcing through corrosion so make sure you've completely jumped it.

Wiring a manual system is extremely easy. Unplug the controller: the two big posts get one big cable from the batts, the other post goes to glow plugs. Then you can trigger the relay with a pushbutton switch in the cab. I prefer hooking the batt power source to the smaller 12v signal post (jumping it so it is always hot) and toggling the relay by the other small ground post. Only have to run one wire into the cab this way. Then you only have to rely on the relay rather than the relay And the controller.

Just make sure you can count or wear a watch, or if you have a stereo use that for your cadence. Most glow plugs are good with 5-10 seconds and I wouldn't do 15 with any except berus maybe. Bosch like 5-7 from my own experience.

I drew how to do it on my iPhone but can't upload so I'll show ya later ebb I get home sorry.

Last edited:

Kevin 007

Full-floater
Reaction score
Can't go wrong with a manual setup. They cycle on and off when YOU want, not when it thinks it should. And much more reliable. I have a manual setup on all my indirect injected diesels and swear by it.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Having a handful of burned out plugs will cause it to cycle rapidly like that. The controller senses resistance in the circuit. Normally resistance increases as they heat up , usualy at around 12-15 seconds, but when plugs get old and worn, resistance increases sooner till the controller will cycle on and off from the moment you trigger it. if you bypass it, you may be feeding juice directly to old plugs and could risk burning some tips off.

Before you go nuts and start bypassing anything, get a meter out and yonk the leads off you glow plugs and test the resistance on your plugs individually and make sure that they are all still good before you create a giant problem.

mopwrd340

Reaction score
it has new glo plugs in it but im gonna check it all when i can hurt my back the other day. its 4 am now and icant sleep.it makes me mad when i cant do anything to the truck,