Glow Plug Per-heat?

DMcV

Reaction score
This being my first diesel truck I need to know about 'pre-heating' the glow plugs. Is it neccesary to pre-heat every time ? For example in the warmer months do I have to wait for the 'wait to start' light to go out before I crank the engine if the engine has recently run? It has been starting up very quickly after it's been running, but I don't want to do any damage.
Thank you
Dennis

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
I always wait for the wait to start light to go out. I have found the truck starts and idles better if you do. If mine is warm it stays on for little or no time anyway. I usually turn on the key, then buckle my seat belt and by the time I do it is ready.

ameristar1

The One Blue Thing
Reaction score
By the time the engine is up to operating temp, or even short of that, it will start right up. But I believe with the IHs the manual says to always cycle through the plugs before starting. Never liked waiting that extra couple of seconds, but better safe than sorry.

geonc

SPIDER BAIT
Reaction score
If you want to eliminate that wait in the warmer months or when the engine temps are at/near operating temps...try rigging a by-pass system like this one designed by Jim Rose of Rosewood Diesel [DZL JIM].....

clicky here

The system works ;Sweet Like Jim, I was in construction and starting and re-starting up to 10 or more times a day.....saves starter drag...worth far more than the less than $50 [mostly from that sensor] and an hour or so of your time :D

Last edited:

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
I think the difference I am seeing is the 6.0L does not burn the plugs long when the engine is warm/hot....... If it has been running, the WTS light may only be on for 2 or 3 seconds...... The 6.0 also does the Inductive Heating Cycle on the injectors. I think they have the glow plug control down pretty well on them.....