Glow plug issue on 6.9

93fordturbo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 85 cc drw 2wd that I just bought has a banks gated sidewinder on it. The other day I went out to start it and it started fine. I moved it a few feet and shut it off. I went back out hours later and the gp light didn't come on. I couldn't start it worth a damn. I then turned the key on and off and it finally came on. It works intermittently now. Is it the gp controller? Or something else? I know my other 85 cc drw 4x4 has a banks non gated and I feel like it's easier to get to the controller. The 85 with the gated turbo seems to sit more on the driver's side or there's more clutter on the driver's side so I'm wondering if it is going to be a pain to do the controller if need be. What are your thoughts?

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Since it's an 85 you have to designate which GP controller you have. The one that screws into the head or the up dated Electronic GPC.

My thoughts are, It's a pain in the **** any time I have to work on the trucks. First I check to see if I have plenty of finger and knuckle bandages, then I put on the Mechanics gloves to keep the hands clean. Sometimes the gloves get in the way and I have to remove them, that's when the busted knuckles start. If you don't take any Blood thinners, you won't bleed to bad.

So all in all, ya just do what ya gotta do.

As far as the intermittent WTS lite, check the Black ground wire if you have the electronic GP controller.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you have the screw in type, it will be on the passengers side.

If you have the screw in, there is an updated one on ebay.

If you have to change it, you have to drain the coolant.

Attachments

• Early 83 GP system.jpg
    Early 83 GP system.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 8
  • 87 up Glow plug system.jpg
    87 up Glow plug system.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 8

93fordturbo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have replaced one on the driver's side I'm pretty sure on my last truck? You sure it's on the passenger side? I looked but must have missed it

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin