Glow Plug Controler

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
I know i have talked/asked about this before but i am still a bit confused.

My glow plug controller will cycle the plugs for 10-15 seconds when the engine is cold like it should, followed by the afterglow cycling.

The thing that is not right is this.......when the engine is warm, not needing the glow plugs at all to start, the glow plugs will cycle the SAME as they do on the first start of the day. i can drive to work, shut the engine off and then right away turn the key to glow cycle position and they glow for 10-15 seconds.

My friend has a '93 IDI and his plugs cycle for the 10-15 seconds on first start of the day and then when the engine is warm the light BRIEFLY comes on when he restarts. it doesn't go thew the whole cycle like mine does. I also pulled an IDI into our shop at work and it was the same thing, engine was plenty warm and the light just blinked upon restart.

So a few months back i figured i had a bad controller so i went to a manual system. While I was doing head gaskets i figured i would go back to the OEM system. i got a new relay and controller. Today when i started the truck, the glow plugs behaved EXACTLY as they did with the old controller.

I found this in the diesel supplement booklet that comes with the truck in the glove box.
"The system consists of eight glow plugs, electronic solid state controler, glow plug lamp, and a wiring harness which incorperates eight fusible wires located adjacent to the glow plug terminal. The system is activated when the ignition switch is in the ON position and engine coolant temprature is below approximately 165*F".

My factory water temp gauge never gets higher than the N on normal. i know they are inaccurate.

So the whole object of this thread/post............Are the glow plugs in ANY WAY connected to the water temp sensor in that the water temp sensor lets the glow plug controller know if the engine needs glow plugs to aid in starting?

I have been told that the part in bold above is not how this system works, but if that is the case then why would it be put in the owners guide?

crazy idea.....if my temp sensor is bad(which i think it is) is there any way i could take the connector off of it and "fake" it into seeing a "greater" signal than what the sensor is putting out? thus if the glow plug controller is truly connected to the water temp sensor, it would "see" a higher coolant temp and say "hey, we don't need to glow as long or don't need to glow at all"

i will look for some wiring diagrams for the system as well.

Thanks for any ideas/input;Sweet

dgr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Eric,
Take the wire off of your temp sensor and ground it. Your gauge should peg past the L.

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
ok thanks Iowa. i know that sensor is responsible for the cold idle/advance on the IP. didn't know it was with the glow plugs as well. My cold advance/idle works just fine though.:confused:

EDIT; whoops, i read your post wrong. the sensor for the cold advance is it's own sensor that screws into the passenger side head. the sensor you speak of screws into the drivers side of the block near the IP gear cover.