Glow Plug Broke

va350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How much do you guys think it would cost to have the heads pulled if I have someone do it? I don't have the time to do it. The truck mechanically is like new, there's no rust at all, new Michelin tires so its probably worth spending some money into it. The biggest problem is finding someone I trust working on an IDI.

va350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just got the tip out using the wood screw trick yay! Does any one know the tap need to cleen the GP hole out?

Sounds like you had the same problem as I do except you were able to get to yours. That's awesome, glad you got yours out. I know it is a big relief.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You can't shove a hose down into the precup, the vacuum hose has to be at the top of the injector bore or a little into it, don't blow air into the GP hole continuously, just spritze ON/OFF to rattle the broken tip around, eventually it will come out, ya have to have a good vacuum with a lot of suction, ie: shop Vac with clean filter. Amen.
All else fails, start it up and blow it out, can't hurt if the piece is that small, if it comes out like that, ti will be like a 38 bullet coming out, could go thru the hood, so be careful.

A shop will probable be around $1000. Get several quotes for sure.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Start it up with the injector out? Didn't know it would start!

I ran from Chattanooga Tenn to Pensacola Florida on 7 injectors. In my case the injector was still in place, just no fuel going to it. In your case, it will run the same but be very noisy with all that air pumping in and out of the injector hole.

va350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is it worth taking the chance of messing something up? Couldn't is screw up a valve or worse? How would I know if it was still in there unless it gets shot thru the hood or something? Could it get by the exhaust valve and into the exhaust manifold, again how would I know? It's not a small piece of steel! I've though about trying. If it was my other 6.9 I probably would.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ya only have to run it for a few seconds, very little fuel would come out the injector line, about 60-80 CC, about a teaspoon full. No air intrusion at all.