Glow Plug Broke

mjs2011

Full Access Member
Reaction score
exactly the reason you should have to open the hood and use a push button switch to cycle your GP instead of this...

I have not used my GP in over a year, I plug it in instead, she is plugged in right now, No broken GPs

There are some areas of the country that get well below freezing on a regular basis and plugging in the block heater will do absolutely nothing. Either the glow plugs work, or you use ether, plain and simple. It doesn't matter if the block is plugged in.

va350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I tried everything and couldn't get it. I saw someone on here hook up a straw to a vacuum and get hold of it thru the injector hole. Didn't work, can't feel anything loose in there. I have been running Motorcraft/BERU for years with no problems. I can't believe they swelled up that quick. What started this was he left the glow plugs on and didn't notice until the lights went dim. The Motorcraft plugs came right out.

I bought the truck with the switch already installed replaced the plugs right away with Motorcraft. My other 6.9 system is all stock which I prefer especially now. Never had a problem with it.

va350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any recommendations where to take it near Fredericksburg, VA. I'd haul it a ways if I could find a good mechanic that I trusted working on an old diesel.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
The problem is it's not a momentary switch.
Not how long the son held them on. He forgot to turn it off.
(Read in post #1)

Are you sure it broke off while trying to remove it?
Or did it burn off?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ToughOldFord

The Cold Glow-Plug
Reaction score
I've never had a problem with Autolites myself, even when my controller failed on the freeway and turned them on for the entire drive to work. Every one was dead, but not a single one was swelled.

The only real problem I've had with glow plugs swelling is with Champions, they always seem to have fat tips when I pull them. And FWIW I've had bad ends on Motorcrafts too, nothing is perfect, everything fails at some point.

You must be registered for see images attach

va350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree it should have been a momentary switch or stock. Nothing I can do about that now. I'm pretty sure it broke off.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Unless you can maybe get a magnet in there somehow, (and I know surroundings are metal also) pulling the head is probably next step.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Unless you can maybe get a magnet in there somehow, (and I know surroundings are metal also) pulling the head is probably next step.
The GP tips are Stainless steel, a magnet won't grab them.
By va350
No and I can see in the glow plug hole and the injector hole.
If you didn't use spritzes of compressed air down thru the GP hole to move it around in the precup a vacuum won't pull it out, you have to do it that way.
Make sure the #1 is at TDC , line up the mark on the damper pulley with the O mark on the timing tab.

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If he left the injector out and started it would that blow it out? Or just suck it in?

va350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I tried blowing compressed air thru the injector hole while using the vac on the injector hole. I can't see anything moving in there. It is at TDC and was when it tried to pull the plug, that's why I would think I could feel it when poking around with a flexible hose. Nothing!

Great article and I think I've read it before, one of the reasons I only use BERU plugs.

giezy

Reaction score
I just got the tip out using the wood screw trick yay! Does any one know the tap need to cleen the GP hole out?

va350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Like oldbull8 said they are stainless steel and I broke off about 1/2 inch or more of the tip. Can't imagine starting it with that in there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
placidoert

Members online