glow plug and fuel line issues..

razorback

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok as some of you have read ive been bringing back an 87 f350 with banks turbo back from the grave. used it twice so far for hauling stuff. few issues have arose..

first off, where the fuel line comes off the filter to go into the IP the compression fitting i have on there is leaking.. what do you guys use to redo that line? right now i have a compression nut with sleeve in there and copper running to where i had to splice into the old line (well just fixing the old seal) but its leaking a little..not a huge leak but enough that i want it fixed.. where can i get a hose or fittings to fix this? its 3/8 compression which is a pain in the ass to find so far.. but i think i saw someone with a replacement hose on here..but can not find the thread..any input would be appreciated.

second is glow plug issue.. now this seems to only happen when its really warm (like operating temp/being driven for a while) i get glow plug issues. the first time i smelled something like plastic burning/melting and i popped the hood to see some of the stuff on the underside of the controller dripping onto valve cover.. just a few drops..not all of it but enough. also where the finned metal piece connects to the controller the plastic around there seems to be getting really hot.. is this the sign of a bad controller? the relay is brand new.. and ive had experience with electronics being bad they really start acting up when warm.. i have a spare controller, so im considering just swapping them out and seeinf if that fixes it...is this just the issue or is there something more that i should worry about? also the WTS light woudlnt shut off yesterday when getting gravel (truck was at op temp) but when i got it home, and turned it off for a while (it was cooled down, but not cold) the WTS acted normal.. (my GP's are Beru btw) its always started right up when it was warm..]

also my front fuel tank says "full" when i know it wasnt, so i guess its a bad sender? i did fill it up yesterday at 3.96 a gallon. :) that was a nice surprise.

other than those two issues, and a small small crack in my radiator (pinhole size that im goign to patch with jb weld, then eventually probably buy one of those pricey aluminum rads that i see on here) everything went well. ive put about 75ish miles on it so far, with 2600 lbs of gravel, you couldnt tell that anything was in there, didnt even squat an inch in the back either (dually), i bought some of that bed liner coating that im going to put on next day i have off and its nice. id do it now but its raining. other than that and a few cosmetic things im very happy with this truck so far (especially since i only paid 350$ for it) it really really makes me want a new diesel so its easier to modify to get more power out of.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
For that fuel line, go to a pump shop, they should have the fitting, it goes from ORB to JIC 5, then hit a hose shop up for a chunk of hose , a 90 deg end and a straight end and a 45 deg JIC 5 to pipe thread ( can't remember the size at the filter housing off the top of my head ) and you're in business.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Let us know if the truck starts cold. Sounds to me like the relay locked up in the on position. :rolleyes:

razorback

Full Access Member
Reaction score
just went out and tried to start it. glowed for the 3ish seconds then started right up..is my controller just screwey? or did i get a bad relay?

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
first off, where the fuel line comes off the filter to go into the IP the compression fitting i have on there is leaking.. what do you guys use to redo that line? right now i have a compression nut with sleeve in there and copper running to where i had to splice into the old line (well just fixing the old seal) but its leaking a little..not a huge leak but enough that i want it fixed.. where can i get a hose or fittings to fix this? its 3/8 compression which is a pain in the ass to find so far.. but i think i saw someone with a replacement hose on here..but can not find the thread..any input would be appreciated.
Tractorman86 is your guy for that, IIRC he makes the hoses for about $30 or so.

second is glow plug issue.. now this seems to only happen when its really warm (like operating temp/being driven for a while) i get glow plug issues. the first time i smelled something like plastic burning/melting and i popped the hood to see some of the stuff on the underside of the controller dripping onto valve cover.. just a few drops..not all of it but enough. also where the finned metal piece connects to the controller the plastic around there seems to be getting really hot.. is this the sign of a bad controller? the relay is brand new.. and ive had experience with electronics being bad they really start acting up when warm.. i have a spare controller, so im considering just swapping them out and seeinf if that fixes it...is this just the issue or is there something more that i should worry about? also the WTS light woudlnt shut off yesterday when getting gravel (truck was at op temp) but when i got it home, and turned it off for a while (it was cooled down, but not cold) the WTS acted normal.. (my GP's are Beru btw) its always started right up when it was warm..]
The WTS light always has power to it from the dashboard, but it only glows when the controller grounds it and completes the circuit - also, I'm pretty sure the light being "on" don't necessarily mean the glowplugs are "on" as well. That's actually why I rewired my WTS light, so I it works with the glowsplugs indpendent on the controller, and even blinks during the afterglow cycles. All that said, I think you have a problem with your controller.

also my front fuel tank says "full" when i know it wasnt, so i guess its a bad sender? i did fill it up yesterday at 3.96 a gallon. :) that was a nice surprise.
If your rear tank reads good, then yes, tis likely the problem is with the front tank sender unit.

razorback

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok just replacing the fuel line with 1/4 inch brass fittings. easier on my part and cheaper for now. still can go other way if needed.

also swapped out controller, the terminals were somewhat dirty, so as i took the wires off i took some sandpaper to them and cleaned them up a little. wont be able to test it until i get my other brass fitting tonight.

also got my truck bed sanded/ground down to put the bedliner on. if its not raining tomorrow i will do it then.

razorback

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok with the new tee and barb fittings, it works well. dont have that annoying fuel leak which i think caused my starting to be a little more difficult due to the pressure going out of the lines at the compression fitting. swapped glow plug controller seems to work better than old one. hopefully that was the problem. anyone know if i can test it now that its off the truck?

also my alt/wp pulley beltseems to be wobbly..would a belt too long caust it to go off center and wobble? the alt is almost maxed out on the adjusting bracket. and it seems to hit the mounting bolt at the bottom of the alt..did they just give me the wrong length or are my pulleys off? (i have a new alt and it came with a pulley, but i swapped the old one on there because the bet woudnt fit in the groove.

and of course its raining..i have everything prepped to do the roll on bedliner too..