getting ready to rebuild the front end of my 93 f-250

texcl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I'm getting ready to replace my ball joints and tie rods, figure while I'm in there I might as well replace the u-joints and wheel bearings on both sides. So I have a couple questions. First tool wise what will I need, I have a front end kit and the ball joint press plus an 8" vise. How about the hub nut and the spring clip I hear so much about what exactly do I need to make removal and installation of these easy? Is there anything else I should be doing while I have it all apart?

gatorman21218

Reaction score
I would do all the bushings. replace them with urethane bushings. Its not that much more work to replace the seals on the carrier if you are doing u-joints.

You will need a D50 hub socket. if my autozone has them then any parts store should.

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What do I need to remove the spring clip in the hub? Just a spanner, what size is it?
The part # for the spanner wrench you need for the spindle nuts, and its approximate cost, are both in my signature. Mine came from AutoZone IIRC. But to get to where you can actually use it you need to disassemble the locking hub first. If this is a factory Ford manual locking hub, take a look at this thread here, it was originally posted for Danielle's D60 she was working on but it applies to the D50 you got as well:
http://www.oilburners.net/forums/sh...t-am-I-forgetting-!&highlight=spindle+removal

We also have this thread in the tech articles, in case you haven't seen it:
http://www.oilburners.net/forums/showthread.php?47867-Dana-50-balljoints-and-a-whole-lot-more

texcl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Very good articles, I wish the second one's pics would load. I see it's a set of dental picks I need for that ring, have a set so should be good to go and bought a dana spindle socket on amazon. should be good to go once I figure out the inner u-joint numbers and what wheel bearing kit I need. Checking on the bushings also.

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
FYI, wheel hubs are the same between D60 and D50 axles, so if finding bearings for a 1-ton (F350) D60 is easier then use those, they will fit. My D60 hubs roll on D50 bearings actually LOL But I'd suggest that you first clean and inspect your factory bearings, unless axle was run with loose or dry hubs chances are the bearings are still in good shape with no need to replace them. Will probably need new seals on them tho, just cause they're rubber and so dry out and crack up.

About the U-joints, they are all 1350-series, the inner one being your standard outside-clip kind you'd use on a rear driveshaft. The part number for the regular hot-forged greasable Spicer is 5-178X. There is a newer design too, with a cold-forged cross, it's supposed to be like 20% or so stronger than hot-forging - they can be had in greasable and lifetime-sealed versions but I can't find the greasable model part # right now, the non-greasable sealed-for-life part # is 5-1350X.