Getting oil inside my cylinders

SlowJackMcCrow

Reaction score
Noticed a slight exhaust leak from the manifold on the passenger side so I decided to pull it off and check out the gasket. Once I pulled it off I noticed oil on the bolt threads and inside the cylinders. It wasn't drenched in oil it was just a little wet. What would be a common cause for an issue such as this?

Ataylor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oil on the threads

Noticed a slight exhaust leak from the manifold on the passenger side so I decided to pull it off and check out the gasket. Once I pulled it off I noticed oil on the bolt threads and inside the cylinders. It wasn't drenched in oil it was just a little wet. What would be a common cause for an issue such as this?

If you have a leaking valve cover it could get into the threads of the exhaust manifold bolts, but inside the exhaust ports of the head is a different story. Is the engine using a large amount of oil between oil changes? Do you see blue smoke from the tail pipe on a regular basis? If the engine is using alot of oil, it could be the piston rings are worn and passing oil. It could also be valve guides leaking oil from above. How is the blow-by while the engine is warm? Maybe a compression test would help determine if it is the rings.

Got to love these old trucks, they keep you thinking. Sometimes it makes me think so much that I start looking at new trucks, but then I come to my senses.

Archie

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would expect your umbrella seals may be shot. That is a common cause of high oil consumption. Oil will run down the exhaust valve stem and blow out with the exhaust.

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
I would expect your umbrella seals may be shot. That is a common cause of high oil consumption. Oil will run down the exhaust valve stem and blow out with the exhaust.

Going thru the E2 for Travis, that was the discovery as well, the umbrellas for the exhaust valve stems were completely gone!

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
This is your problem. If the oil seals are shot on the intake the engine will burn the oil as fuel. Then usually no oil out the exhaust or blue smoke. But if the exhaust seals are shot your going to get oil leaking in and blown out without burning. Both the intake and exhaust valve seals can be replaced with the heads on using the special ford tool but finding someone to sell you or borrow is the next test. Don't remove the valve covers and only change the exhaust. Your already that far into it. Do it right.

Brad S.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The guys above have better experiences then me.
I had the same exact problem. Took them to a shop, they replaced, valves, valve seals, guides.
my 2 cents.