Getting Air in Fuel System

bryand

Reaction score
Does anyone know where or if I can get IP parts, specificly throttle shaft o-ring and advance piston seal. The pump is a DPS turbo cal pump with about 30,000 miles on it and is about 2 yrs old. Spoke to Ken about getting parts, but thats about as far as it went. Thanks for looking.
Bryan

hahn_rossman

Hahn Rossman
Reaction score
Are you sure the leak is there? I haven't heard many people complain about the IP leaking...Then again I'm running b99 and have some kind of leak which I thought was return lines but I replaced them to no avail.
I'd call Seattle Injector (206) 623-1135
They are a great outfit that specialize in diesels. They even have old roostamaster plaques from the 1950's! They had the rebuild kit for the bosch pump on my volvo in stock for under $15;Sweet
I haven't asked them about the db2 but they will definately know.

bryand

Reaction score
I'm sure its leaking from those places. thanks for the info. I'll try Seattle injector tomorrow. thanks for the info

hahn_rossman

Hahn Rossman
Reaction score
Well you got me thinking and I went out in the dark to peer at my IP.cookoo
It may be leaking around the cold advance solenoid. Do you have any idea how to replace that seal? Is it as obvious as removing that circlip to remove the lever, then unscrewing the solenoid? Are there many little pieces waiting to go spoing across the room and disappear?
i also found this ebay listing if Seattle imjector doesn't have it.
http://tinyurl.com/25qbcr

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
3 screws take the top cover off. Nothing will go Sproing! Just make sure when you fix it, that you put the top cover back on correctly (with the shut off lever in the top cover engaging the throttle linkage towards the front of the truck). It's actually hard to put it on wrong, but if you suceed you end up with a runaway and a blown motor.

hahn_rossman

Hahn Rossman
Reaction score
Maybe I am mis identifying the suspect part. It's on the driver's side of the IP near the bottom and it is pressed into the ip by and external lever. the lever is activated when the throttle is depressed.

2manydsls

Reaction score
There's no hidden parts inside. The worst that will happen, is you'll lose one of the E clips. Once you remove the large bolt head, the seal is pressed into it. I've been able to replace the seals without removing the IP, but I have small hands. If you can't find a seal, I think I may have some somewhere. It will take some looking though. Let me know.
Ross

hahn_rossman

Hahn Rossman
Reaction score
Thanks for the info! I actually live about a mile from Seattle injector and called them yesterday, they have the seals in stock! :hail
It's always funny in retrospect how hard air leaks are to fix...I hope to be in the retrospective frame of mind by this afternoon.

hahn_rossman

Hahn Rossman
Reaction score
Well you can replace the seal on the advance piston without removing the IP, but boy is it tricy. I don't have the smallest hands either... It seems to have improved by air leak, but not solved it entirerely. Did you get the the parts yet? Have you fixed your problem?

bryand

Reaction score
I have not fixed it yet I have to out of town for 2 weeks today will fix when i return, I don't have to drive the truck much, but that will change soon.

h2odrx

Anti-O
Reaction score
Hey I found this tech info thought it might help?

Here is a good tip!!
cdnsarguy said:
I just ran across a TSB for the fuel system........ because so many IPs were being changed needlessly..........

Dated: 92-10-9 7.3 Engine Hard start lacks power- Fuel line air leak

In basic essence it states:

1 Disconnect hose and block the inlet to the lift pump.

2 Disconnect the "Tank return line" from the fitting at the left rear corner of the engine.

3 Attach a hand operated vacuum pump to the fitting at return line attachment point.

4 Apply a vacuum of 10 inches HG.

5 If the vacuum decay exceeds 1/2 inch HG in 15 minutes an air leak is present.

6. If there is no leak found on the engine, gotta do the same on the tank lines etc.

7. If an air leak is present test individual components one at a time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thamojster