Getting a diesel in Washington DC

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
besides floridas not that far day trips not bad we went to Kingaman AZ on amtrack and half the fun of the vacation is getting there those that have to fly everywhere miss so much

Well, there are two ways of looking at that. I might miss as much in the travel, but if we both take a week's vacation to the grand canyon, guess who is going to see more of the grand canyon. Personally, I don't care to be couped up in something that long, if I did, I would and do drive. For me, I would rather get there and relax rather than spend 3/4 of my vacation getting there, but then again, it is all in one's perspective I guess. I don't have a passion for trains, and if I did, it wouldn't be diesel, but steam...if it's vacation though, it is all GOOD! :thumbsup:

93turbo_animal

Reaction score
yep thats how most feel get there and get home which is fine but when your vacation is to see the country then then guess who got to see more country LOL to each there own other wise it would get mighty boringLOL

EMD Diesel Power

Misguided Trident
Reaction score
As for the F40s.... they may look badass.... but they're loud as hell in the cab, ride rough, and usually hot inside too--- one of the quirks of full-cowl carbody style units. Although I'd probably take one of those over the GE toasters these days for better throttle response (F40 is an EMD... duh!! LOL )

Odd thing was that WC's F/P45s werent all that loud in the cab either... must have had better insulation.... PITA in a backup move though.

Al Haynes.... wasnt he the guy that put that DC10 down in Souix Falls after an engine failure and no hydraulics??

TLBREWER

Windy B Ranch
Reaction score
I got to fly as part of my job for twenty years. Love to fly, but it has to be a dire emergency to get me on a civilian passenger plane. And I have to drug my wife and knock her out to get her on one. Trains are great! Although I've yet to take a long trip on a diesel. My train experience is on narrow gauge steamers with 100 year old wooden Pullman club cars. I've been trying to plan a vacation or weekend get away on the Southwest Chief for a couple of years now. Maybe this year...Winslow, Arizona...such a fine sight to see:rotflmao

Tom

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
yep thats how most feel get there and get home which is fine but when your vacation is to see the country then then guess who got to see more country LOL to each there own other wise it would get mighty boringLOL

Well, I guess it is all in your perspective. I didn't say get there and get back, what I said was by flying, you get there and get to spend some time where you want to go, such as the Grand Canyon, rather than stepping off your train and saying wow, there it is, stepping back on your train for the 3 day trip home. That is not for me. I can also tell you, having driven from one side of the states to the other, the drive to Arizona, by train or car, will get boring! I mean I like corn as well as anyone, but 2 days of it starts to get old. I like the drive through New Mexico, but most people get tired of it after 3 or 4 hours. At any rate, I guess the perspective is what you plan to do. If you enjoy traveling, then there you go. If you want to get somewhere, like the beach or whatever and spend a few days of a weeks vacation, you can't beat flying.

Personally, I have no problems getting on a passenger plane either. You can get killed by some drunk butt head driving down the street anytime of day. You can be in a train pile up from some idiot deciding to take his own life or wanting to race a train, it's all dangerous but I consider the time aboard as a direct multiplier for danger. In that perspective, I'll take my two hour flying chance, you can have your 2 days in a train car!!! :rotflmao As far as security, I take it in stride, remember, I work in a prison!!! One of these days, the trains will have the same security, I bet you won't go on a train in France without security measures. Eventually, someone will blow a few up here and it will all be the same.

Freight_Train

Traitor to the brotherhood
Reaction score
Ehhh,My favorite is a GG1 with the E units close behind......and then the
F40s.Too bad they made nearly all the surviving units Cabage units now.

apextrans

What Log Book????
Reaction score
Miami Fl to Baltimore in 17.5 hrs flat. Mel, I'd have given you a liftLOL . It's no amtrak but my co-workers call it "The Freight Train". Enjoy the trip!!

adrianspeeder

USAF C-17 Avionics
Reaction score
Ehhh,My favorite is a GG1 with the E units close behind...

True, the GG1 is the mackdaddy, but she ain't diesel ;Sweet

Eunits never did look right to me.

As for the F40s.... they may look badass.... but they're loud as hell in the cab, ride rough, and usually hot inside too--- one of the quirks of full-cowl carbody style units.

I've had a cab ride a few years ago, and it was by far my favorite one!

Freight_Train said:
...and then the
F40s.Too bad they made nearly all the surviving units Cabage units now.

Breaks my heart.

Adrianspeeder

Freight_Train

Traitor to the brotherhood
Reaction score
Technically neither are any other modern locomotive.They are Diesel Generators with electric motors moving it.which brings up a question....what the heck was under those monster hoods on a GG1?Were the electric relays,transformers,speed controls that big back then?

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I forget who it was who said that the invention of the interstate now allows us to get from one point to another without seeing anything. The train isn't like that. Always something fascinating to look at. Here's a picture from the window, and one of my dinner. YUM! It was really good. As for getting a ride up front, not this time. But here is a shot of me doing more than just riding.
You must be registered for see images attach

Attachments

• boatsInDC.jpg
    boatsInDC.jpg
    201.3 KB · Views: 8
  • dinner.jpg
    dinner.jpg
    295.5 KB · Views: 6

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
Technically neither are any other modern locomotive.They are Diesel Generators with electric motors moving it.which brings up a question....what the heck was under those monster hoods on a GG1?Were the electric relays,transformers,speed controls that big back then?

Lots of PCB's:eek:

93turbo_animal

Reaction score
theres really only half a days difference between flying and a train to AZ when you get down to it sure the flight is only 3hours and the train takes 30 but once you figure in layover being there 2hours earlly to get checked in waiting for you luggage getting out of the airport and jet lag 1 day is shot so in a trip that far not much of a difference to me but honestly I'd rather drive that way I can go where I want when I want and stay as long as I want LOL

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
theres really only half a days difference between flying and a train to AZ when you get down to it sure the flight is only 3hours and the train takes 30 but once you figure in layover being there 2hours earlly to get checked in waiting for you luggage getting out of the airport and jet lag 1 day is shot so in a trip that far not much of a difference to me but honestly I'd rather drive that way I can go where I want when I want and stay as long as I want LOL

I think your math is off, 2 hours in, 4 hour flight (straight through, which is often cheaper than stopping over), 2 hours out. I have flown to Phoenix several times. In a 30 hour drive, you are going to have to sleep, thus missing some of the scenery. If doing it alone, you are going to have more than 30 hours in driving and still be dead when you get there. I can leave Columbus, Ohio in the morning and be hunting in a Western state in the afternoon, not something you will be doing in your car or train. At any rate, and remembering the 4 hours gained, my flight at the longest is 4 hours (8 hours in/flight/out - 4 hours gained on the clock). As I said, I have driven it and if you haven't, I would recommend it, but once in my lifetime is enough for me.