Getrag trans and cummins questions

DmaxEter

Meet Mike Hawk
Reaction score
What kind of fluid does the Getrag 5 speed manual take and how much? Also what is the bearing clearance on the rod and main bearings and what do the main and rod caps torque at? Thanks ahead of time.

Whit

Reaction score
Cant help ya on the getrag but the torques on rod caps 73 lbs, main 130lbs, main clearence max is .00475 and rod clearence is .0035

Cheers, Kevin

jleonard

Reaction score
HTML:
What kind of fluid does the Getrag 5 speed manual take and how much
5-30....most of us use synthetic.
I forget the exact amount the book calls for...I think it's 3.something quarts..to the bottom of the fill hole.
BUT....most of us also add 1 additional quart and that seems to let it live a much longer, happier life.
You can pull the boot, pull the shifter out from the cab, and add the quart that way, or thru one of the upper bolt holes, etc.
Jay

wannadiesel

KDP Killer
Reaction score
I have 5 quarts of Redline MTL in mine. It really improved the cold weather shifting. I've read that it can will the oil temp in a hard working gearbox, so if you tow heavy stick with the Mobil 1 5W-30.

Heinzhauler

Reaction score
I'm running 5w-30 as well. I had a trans shop tell me to run the 80 -90w or they wouldn't warranty my transmission. I put it in there and made it around the block once. Shifting was not horrible, we put the 5w-30 in and it was business as usual. I also added one quart extra but don't recall the total. Basically one quart past the fill plug.
By the way nice heeler. my family has 4 right now, ranging in age from 13 down to 1. My wife is telling me I'm streching the truth a little, one is only half heeler. They're good dogs if you don't mind matching wits with an animal that thinks it's always right.
Bryan

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tyler9828