Gentleman, I know I'm a traitor but....

1994IDI

Reaction score
I'm reaching out for a little help here.

My name is Jared and I use to spend all of my nights on here reading everything I could learn about the IDI's. That was back when I had free time, and before I killed my beautiful 1994 7.3 in a snowy wreck after being cut off by a very eco friendly sedan with great brakes. That's neither here nor there.

I am back in the Middle East again, but have found a truck on craigslist that I'd like to buy. It's NOT AN IDI... I apologize. But it is a 1998 12v, 4x4, manual sitting inside of a rust free Dodge 2500 w/relatively low mileage. It appears un-molested. I know many of you here are familiar with the Cummins lineage as well, and know that the '98 is tough to find with a 12v in it.. Let alone one that hasn't been worked to death. My issue is not only that I'm on the other side of the ocean, but that the truck is in New Castle Wyoming. It's about 75 miles west of Rapid City, I believe.

I have tried and failed to find inspection OR shipping companies that I feel I can trust to give me trustworthy and reliable feedback on the trucks condition, let alone honest shipping quotes and services. Is anyone in the area or know of a business that covers the area to provide an inspection of the truck? How about a shipping company that can handle shipping a 4x4 long bed (to Indiana) without charging an arm and a leg?

If any reputable member here on the forum would be willing and able to go meet this guy and check out the truck, I'll gladly cover your fuel expense and provide you with a little "walking around money". I can't tell you how much I would appreciate it. I've been trying to find one of these trucks for a long time, and they don't pop up in this condition every day. Here's the link: http://www.outlawmotors.com/1998-dodge-12-valve-2500-laramie.html It's a used diesel truck dealer and he's currently asking $17,900. It's safe to say they guy know's what he's got, but I'm happily divorced and spend most of my time deployed so I've got nothing better to spend my $ on.

I apologize for posting this in the wrong forum, but I've spent countless hours reading y'alls threads in the past, and I've never encountered a group of gear heads and diesel enthusiasts who have impressed me the way the members here have. I'll gladly send a few rounds down range for you in the very near future, in the direction of some people who don't like us very much... Just a thought.

Thanks for reading my rant and thanks in advance for any help or advice. God bless America and God bless all of you,
Jared

ManBearPig

Reaction score
That appears to be a sharp truck, and anyone on here with any sense would tell you the same whether it wears a Dodge badge or not. It's definitely priced ambitiously, but sometimes you gotta pay more for something than you know you should to get what you really want. Hope you can find someone to go check it out for you.

rockcrawler_101

Full Access Member
Reaction score
its nice but way over priced. Also goose neck is never a good sign because that normally means its been hauling something heavy. If you do get it make sure to get a fuel transfer pump thats put in by the gas tank. The stock transfer pump is by the engine and they burn out all the time but the truck will still run like normal till it burns up the injection pump costing you a ton.

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
18 grand for a '98........anything on wheels is absurd to me unless it's something that could make that back and then some (bucket truck/welding rig/tow truck,dump truck and the like.) 18k for a pickup? how can you think that you couldn't make that kind of $ go further? then your pouring salt on the wound by overspending on a dodge! a dodge of all things in life? LOL
(hey you posted it here,so take it like a man lol)

u-ship.com to get many ship quotes.

Last edited:

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't walk across the street to look at that. You mean your going to take my word for spending $18K of your money for a 98. No way.

That truck is in cowboy country hauling horses, it probably was traded in due to milage, or who knows.

My Signature 99.5 truck. Paid $17.5 for it way back in 08 with 124K miles. Been a super truck so far, except for the GEM module going out.

Even if you did buy it. Gonna cost another $4k to transport to FL. You being in FL., there is plenty of trucks there where people retire and die. Why don't you wait til you come home, then buy a truck, ya can't drive it while in the Middle East.

You have no idea, I don't think, what can happen transporting a truck. It might turn out to be a nightmare. Believe me , I know.

1994IDI

Reaction score
Guys, I appreciate the thoughts. Understand that the price has already been disucssed with him. As posted, I'm not concerned w/the price. Just in finding some help getting someone to check it out for me. As also posted, I'm shipping it to Indiana, and its not quoting anywhere near 4k, thus far.
There isn't a '98 12v in the country in this condition for 6-9k, w/only 168,*** miles on it. If I'm wrong, I'll honestly pay you the finders fee for presenting it too me.

rockcrawler_101

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The crazy part is my brother bought pretty much the truck you want 6 years ago here in California in great shape for 10k. But now i go look for one and they are around 14k now. Just crazy.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Guess I missed your shipping destination Indiana, just looked your Destin FL. location. From New Castle to Indianapolis IN it's 1177 miles (just took a destination). Don't know what the shipping Co quoted, but it's usually $2/mile from a booney location like New Castle is. What they don't tell you is that the truck may be transferred several times, and may take a month or more. If you do buy it, I strongly suggest you google for any complaints on the Hauler. Your Nickle.

no mufflers

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I understand your in the service but what about flying over there to look at it and drive it back. if you go there and decide its a big pile and you don't want it then just fly back.

fuel is pretty cheap now so the drive wouldn't cost too much. if someone is in the area and could give you a better idea of its condition that would help.

I know I would feel bad if I went to look at it for you and I missed something and you bought it and spent all that money on the purchase price and shipping and once you received the truck you weren't happy or ended up having a problem with it and it becomes a lawn ornament.

just my .02

Shawn MacAnanny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There's one for sale 20 minutes from me, 5 speed, 1998, extended cab, 180k, for $10,500. It's got some rust on the rockers though.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7