General Question about motor oil

kimmer123

Reaction score
can you use motomaster deisel oil in my gas engines? 15w 40

what is the difference between esso extra and esso deisel?

is there a detergent difference? sorry newbie here thank you in advance kimmer

VALKYRIES

Reaction score
Engine oils

You probably have the answer by now? So will be redundent answer probably??? This should have been answered by now. Yes you can use diesel engine oil in a spark ignition engine. Diesel is a ( C) abreavition Gas is ( S) The next thing is , is it turbo rated? Oil companies market oil so that owners can use diesel engine oils in there gas fleet to reduce the costs of multi storaged and the possability of using the incorrect oil in the diesel engines .Where every you have a bulk plant office near by see if they will give you a current or out dated booklet on oil products They will tell you most of what you need to learn on oils.Or collect several? I am needing to find out on Mobil hydrolic oils for work. It should be on the net as well.

If you engine is broken in read up on synthetic oils you will probably switch them? I have been using them since 1986. Good luck in your quest for knowledge, knowledge is power.:hail:D

Papabear

Papabear
Reaction score
the only real difference between a gas engine rated engine oil and a diesel rated engine oil besides turbo rating is the diesel engine oil will have a soot or ash inhibitor in it. i do know that 15w40 is the norm for diesels but up here in the north we run 0w30 or 0w40 for diesel in the heavy equipment in the winter and in the 2 stroke jimmy's (yes they are still common up here) we run straight 30w in them year round.

NJKen

is a daddy!
Reaction score
15W40 may be just a touch too thick for modern day gas engines. Most new stuff now runs 5W20 or 5W30. The thicker 15W40 may starve the engine for oil since it wont fit through the clerances as quickly.
Ken

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7