general mechanic question: what causes excessive camber?

TwoTone IDI

ZF swap completed!
Reaction score
my truck's front wheels have a sort of saggy appearance... that extreme negative camber also makes it sort of a beast to steer on uneven roads

i had the front end jacked up today while i was doing the new caliper pins and springs and i could wiggle the entire assembly maybe a millimeter up and down and side to side without moving the steering link.

is this contributing to my negative camber situation? what are some things i need to replace to tighten the whole show up?

92f350dually

Diesel Dummy
Reaction score
Wheel bearings would be my first thought if you can grab the wheels and shake em any way without the steering linkage moving at all.

TwoTone IDI

ZF swap completed!
Reaction score
camber shims or ball joints ,, not hard to replace either
ball joints i thought of but didnt really know much about. could the camber shims also be called camber bushings? the entire front end of this thing looks ragged out and old, i feel like anything rubber or plastic is pretty much trash

Wheel bearings would be my first thought if you can grab the wheels and shake em any way without the steering linkage moving at all.
hadnt thought of that, good suggestion ;Sweet

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wheel bearings if the wheels are loose in about any direction you wiggle them, if just up-down then likely ball joints. And yes, camber bushings is what I've heard them adjusters called, not camber shims, probably the same thing tho. Also, as the front springs wear out and sag the camber will go like /-o-\ again, how much vertical distance you have between the top of the tires and the bottom of the fender lips?

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
on our trucks due to age, the front springs on the F250 IFS 4x4 sag and is the main culprit to the camber issues. the second closest chassis with the same problem is the CC 4x2 trucks.

cetanefreek

Full Access Member
Reaction score
in my case sag isn't the word, it's more like collapse, I have about 3/4" from the axle to the bumpstop.

TwoTone IDI

ZF swap completed!
Reaction score
Wheel bearings if the wheels are loose in about any direction you wiggle them, if just up-down then likely ball joints. And yes, camber bushings is what I've heard them adjusters called, not camber shims, probably the same thing tho. Also, as the front springs wear out and sag the camber will go like /-o-\ again, how much vertical distance you have between the top of the tires and the bottom of the fender lips?
thats a thought too, i was really hoping that the problem was as simple as a ball joint

i have probably 8-10" between the top of the tire and the top of the wheel well trim. i just happened to notice the camber when i had the truck parked down at the end of the driveway... was able to get a good look at it compared to other things that are plumb and i could see it wasnt quite right.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online