GEN 2 TO Gen 3 conversion

Tinman875

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK FOR THOSE OF YOU THAT NEED CAUGHT UP, I HAD A 53 BLOCK CRACK AND LEAVE ME STRANDED 2000 MILES AWAY FROM HOME. I POSTED THIS 4 WEEKS AGO. I HAD 2 AUTO SHIPPERS BEND ME OVER ON GETTING MY RIG HOME, SO I WENT AND GOT HER MY SELF. I STARTED THIS CONVERSION ON 1PM ON WED, AND WORKED TILL 6PM (WHEN THE SHOP CLOSED) EACH NIGHT. CAN'T WORK ON HER THIS WEEKEND, WAITING ON PARTS, AND AM HAVING AN OPEN HOUSE.

WHAT I LEARNED SO FAR IS YOU NEED A SHOE HORN TO GET THE OLD GEN 2 OUT!! YES I KNOW SOME OF YOU ARE LAUGHING RIGHT NOW..... BUT I HAD TO REMOVE MY VALVE COVER TO GET HER TO CLEAR THE FRONT CROSS MEMBER. ON THE INSTALL OF THE GEN 3 I RAISED THE BODY UP 2 INCHES SO I WOULDN'T HAVE TO DO THAT AGAIN. EVERYTHING WENT IN AND BOLTED UP MOUNTS, AND TRANNY. I HAD TO NOTCH THE FRONT CROSS MEMBER TO CLEAR THE COMPUTER ON THE GEN 3, NO BIGGIE. I WAS ABLE TO USE MY OLD AC COMPRESSOR, BUT HAD TO ORDER NEW P.S. PUMP, FAN AND CLUTCH, INTAKE AIR TEMP SENSOR, TPS, AND ALT FOR THE CONVERSION. I ALSO NOTICED THE GEN 3 TURBO IS LOWER SO I GOT A INTAKE TUBE KIT THAT I WILL HAVE TO MODIFY TO MATE BACK TO MY ORIGINAL FILTER SPOT. I'LL HAVE PICS OF THAT WHEN I GET THERE. WHEN I INSTALLED THE NEW BATTERY CABLE HARNESS, ALL I HAD TO DO IS REMOVE THE LITTLE EARS ON THE CONNECTOR THAT GOES TO THE FUSE BOX, AND ALL THE REST OF THE PLUGS WERE THE SAME. MOST OF THE PLUGS ON THIS GEN 3 ARE THE SAME EXCEPT FOR THE 2 MAIN ONES THAT CONTROL THE DASH STUFF. I HAVE A AID IN THIS AREA FROM FORDCUMMINS. SO FAR SO GOOD, I'LL KEEP YOU UPDATED. HERE ARE SOME PICS!:peelout did i put this in the wrong spot??

Attachments

• gettin stripped-1.JPG
    gettin stripped-1.JPG
    190.4 KB · Views: 27
  • gettin stripped-2.JPG
    gettin stripped-2.JPG
    187.8 KB · Views: 25
  • hoist.JPG
    hoist.JPG
    124.1 KB · Views: 24
  • out with the old.JPG
    out with the old.JPG
    127.5 KB · Views: 26
  • crack-1.JPG
    crack-1.JPG
    160.4 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:

Tinman875

Full Access Member
Reaction score
pics continued

here are some more pics

Attachments

• crack-2.JPG
    crack-2.JPG
    181.2 KB · Views: 19
  • empty hole.JPG
    empty hole.JPG
    153.1 KB · Views: 12
  • body lift-2.JPG
    body lift-2.JPG
    130.4 KB · Views: 13
  • body lift-1.JPG
    body lift-1.JPG
    157.7 KB · Views: 11
  • body lift-3.JPG
    body lift-3.JPG
    157.3 KB · Views: 14

Tinman875

Full Access Member
Reaction score
pics continued

more pics, the crack was 8 in long.

Attachments

• notch-1.JPG
    notch-1.JPG
    106.1 KB · Views: 24
  • New install-1.JPG
    New install-1.JPG
    185.4 KB · Views: 28

Tinman875

Full Access Member
Reaction score
CONCLUSION OF CONVERSION

HEY GUYS, SORRY FOR BEING SO LATE ON THE FINISH OF THIS PROJECT!

Ok here are some more pics and the rest of the story.(3 weeks later :rolleyes: ) Turns out the stock style fan would not work cause the distance from the grill to the fire wall is shorter than the gen 3's, and the hood is a little tighter in space as well. So I went with a set of electric fans from Summit, with the temp probe relay. After mounting the new power steering pump, i noticed the hoses are a different size on the pressure side of the pump, so I had to buy a new hose for a 04- went right on. Ok the huge hurdle I jumped was the TPS. There was only 1 wrecked 04 standard tranny cummins in the USA, and some one beat me to the front clip, all I needed was the TPS harness with the plug and about a 2ft pigtail which is on the chassis harness not the engine. :puke: There is a difference in standard and automatic tps. Turns out up till 03 standard and auto tranny tps's were the same, after that the pins coming out of the ecu are wired differently-- I thought I was hosed, well more than I already am. I got to thinking, wondering what I have got myself into then I thought.. hmmmm. I'll take my old TPS plug and disect it! It has 6 pins/wires and a 2ft pigtail!! :Sly I carefully pulled it apart and slid the connectors into the new tps and noticed that they were larger in size. Keeping my cool, I gently squeezed them with a pair of pliars until they fit tight, and heat shrinked each one down to the end. After looking at the schematics and figuring out the order and where they went I hooked them to the main engine harness and guess what. It worked on the first try!! :thumbsup: So I carefully filled the cavity of the plug area with " the good stuff" silicone. It has worked like a charm since and is real solid. I would still like to put a real plug in one day, but you know don't fix it less it's broke right??? I had to make my own tps bracket also, placing it up by the intake horn. They mounted under/next to the driverside battery on the 03 up. After that I purchased a new throttle cabe to fit the new tps. Now for 06 there is not a throttle cable, it is built into the pedal under the dash-- truely drive by wire. Ok on to the intercooler tubes. I had to lengthen the pass side one 6.5 in and put a bend in the driver side one to clear the ps pump. I had to buy a new clamp for the hose that connects the pass side tube to the turbo cause the new turbo has a slightly smaller outlet. For the intake, I purchased an aftermarket AFE tube, cut it down and that let me keep my stock airfilter location. I installed the new air intake temp sense in the intake tube next to the filter. I am running the retro lift pump kit in the tank along with the one on the filter housing, and they are working great together! Ok as for the fue lines, the new gen 3 has a female end on the pump and the old gen 2 has a female end. I bought a new fuel line at NAPA that has a female on each end, and put it in between. The return lines are the same. The hardest part of this conversion was the wiring part of it, the tps, air conditioning, heating grid, had to install a new wait to start light in the dash. I learned that the 01 dodge is a completly negative system, meaning that all the switches and sensors work of ground controlled by the pcm ( on the firewall). For example the wait to start light-- when you hit the key to start, the pcm sends a ground to the dash makes the light come on then the timing system monitors the relays controlling the heating grid sending a positve voltage to them, but a negative to the light on the dash. After they heat, it switches back, turning off the light on the dash. So when the key is in the start position you can touch the wait to start light wire to any ground and it will come on. I tried everything to make it work normally, but couldn't. The new ecm will NOT communicate with the pcm on the firewall. Saying this I lost my oil, water, wait light and tach on the dash. :mad: I had to get a set of autometer guages and tach. I was upset with the whole idea, but after driving it and actually knowing the psi and temp it is not all that bad. I placed the tach on the steering column blocking my old tach on the dash. Autometer makes 3 different tachs for diesels, that read off the alternator-- yea I know-- wierd! But hey it works great! Now I dont even look at my old guages on the dash. I still have my fuel, voltage and spedo. The last thing was now I had no vacuum pump. Turns out that cummins makes a bracket that mounts to the fuel pump housing and a 96-97 pump off a Powerstroke bolts right on. Turns out that when you order a exhaust brake from Jacobs this is what you get. The pumps are identical, belt driven and all. Oh yea the exhaust elbow off the turbo has to be clocked also to make the new down pipe work. You have to remove the 2 dowels and turn it a bit. Ok I'll quit rambling I know this is a huge post. I probably left something out so ask questions if you wanna. I learned allot about diesel mechanics and how these buggars work. I believe I can recite the whole wiring schematics for both a 01 and 04 cummins dodge. :puke: enjoy the pics!!

Attachments

• Close up wires of TPS.JPG
    Close up wires of TPS.JPG
    116.7 KB · Views: 11
  • Completed Intake-1.JPG
    Completed Intake-1.JPG
    129.1 KB · Views: 10
  • Completed Intake-2.JPG
    Completed Intake-2.JPG
    139.6 KB · Views: 12
  • Dowels on stock exhaust.JPG
    Dowels on stock exhaust.JPG
    68.5 KB · Views: 7
  • Electric fans.JPG
    Electric fans.JPG
    180 KB · Views: 9

Tinman875

Full Access Member
Reaction score
more pics continued

Attachments

• Modified TPS.JPG
    Modified TPS.JPG
    131.4 KB · Views: 11
  • New downpipe-2.JPG
    New downpipe-2.JPG
    126.7 KB · Views: 6
  • Vacuum pump.JPG
    Vacuum pump.JPG
    128.7 KB · Views: 10
  • Wiring mess.JPG
    Wiring mess.JPG
    187.1 KB · Views: 12
  • Almost done.JPG
    Almost done.JPG
    129.9 KB · Views: 13

Tinman875

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did forget to say that I had to customize my cruise control making my own bracket for that, and adapting it to my new tps. Pics above

2500cummins

Reaction score
A little late to help you but...
Did the truck your new engine come out of have a separate PCM? I think in mid '04? Dodge combined the ECM and PCM into a single unit, I suppose there may be a possibility an '03 ECM could communicate with your PCM.

Tinman875

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the only hood it has seen is mine. It is a crate engine from cummins, branny new. It has a whopping 2500 miles on it now. And yes the early 04 had a pcm, but it wouldn't hook up to my dash stuff. They are 2 different animals. Trust me I tried everything.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7