Gear Vendors took a dump, options?

02x72

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought my truck last June, had a gear vendors installed from the dealer in August'89 I was told(bought it from original owner). There was always a slight vibration when it was engaged, and has gotten worse in the last few months. I dropped the pan and cleaned the filter 3 months ago, and a fair amount of metal shavings were in the pan, probably a teaspoons worth so I figured it was living on borrowed time, especially considering the truck was used to haul a camper around the country for the last 20 years. Leaving Chicago last week it was running normally, then all of a sudden all hell broke loose with it, it felt like the entire trans dropped out of the truck. I pulled over to inspect for any damage, pulled the wires so I was sure it would be dead and continued on. It made an awful noise 4 more times in the next hour, but after i dropped it in neutral and slowed down it was ok. I got the truck home the last 250 miles going 55 with no issues from it, and have driven around time a few times with no more issues.
So here's the question, what should I do with this thing? Rebuild it? Sell it as a core and use the money for a new 3.55 axle? How difficult, cost effective is it to repair? Whats the value of it as is?

DesertBen44

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ballpark numbers from talking with gearvendors last year, if you send them your unit they will rebuild for around 800 bones. 3.55 axle would be good option also, as long as it can still pull what you need. sig says hypermax turbo so maybe you are ok. personally my n.a idi i wouldnt want 3.55s in it can barely pull itself as is.

honestly though if your unit was installed in the 80s and just died now, that would give me some serious confidence. i would rebuild it and keep goin

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Knowing if it was a J or P model will help. The J models were the early ones so that might be what you have. The serial numbers can tell you what it is or look at the speedo gear cover to the gv unit. If its about 1 inch diameter its a J model. If its about a 2 inch diameter its the later P model. The P model is the stronger of the tow models. Either way gv is the best place to have it fixed/ Or look on ebay under gear vendors. Find a seller thats in Aromas Ca. He rebuilds and sells plenty of them. Towact knows of him too.

Garbage_Mechan

Garbage Mechanic
Reaction score
Find a seller thats in Aromas Ca. He rebuilds and sells plenty of them.

I highly recomend this guy too, since he is an Allis Chalmers nut as well, we have talked for hours, and I bought my GV from him. He also sells a control box he has made.

I ordered a control box from him and USPS lost it, he replaced it no questions asked. Great guy, goes by Maximum Overdrive IIRC>