Gear Vendor Quetion

David94IDIT

Reaction score
I went to the swap meet last weekend. A guy was selling 2 GV units. One was for a C6. The other he said was for a modern 4X4 that he said mounts after the transfer case. I have a E4OD with 4.10 gear and 37" tires. I run about 1800 RPM around 65-70 MPH. Would a GV be worth it for me? Anything special I should look for? He could or wouldn't answer specific questions so I passed on it. It looked complete.

ocnorb

IDIT
Reaction score
I went to the swap meet last weekend. A guy was selling 2 GV units. One was for a C6. The other he said was for a modern 4X4 that he said mounts after the transfer case. I have a E4OD with 4.10 gear and 37" tires. I run about 1800 RPM around 65-70 MPH. Would a GV be worth it for me? Anything special I should look for? He could or wouldn't answer specific questions so I passed on it. It looked complete.

I'd say no. Your RPM drop would put you in lugging the motor territory at 65.

Would be great for those downhill 140 mph runs, though!

If you do buy it, look it over for any GVO marking or numbers and call to make sure it will fit your transfer case. GV is great about answering your questions and helping you decide which way to go. I called them on Monday about my 205 adapter- turns out it fits a chev 205, but not a Ford 205 because it is clocked differently.

Last edited:

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
1800 RPM at 65-70 even with that tall of tires, your tach or speedometer must be off. Should be more like 2200 +. I'm at 2050 at 60. 235/85 tires.

gunz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I checked my speedo with GPS. Mine is within a couple miles adn hour. My truck has really tall gears. Runs near 2K at 70ish. alot taller than I expected.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
You didn't say what the asking price was or what type gv these were. The made a J and a P type unit. the older units are the J type. If you actually are in San Diego just drop by the gv shop in El Cajon. The address is 1717 N Magnolia ave. Phone is 800-999-9555. Its just on the other side of the Santee airport. They have really great customer service on the phone too. If the unit is a P and the price is right I would get it and install it. Nothing wrong with ahvine more gears to choose from. I'm running a gv behind my BTS E4OD trans. This is the rpm and speeds I travel at sometimes... My speedo was recalibrated too so I know these numbers are correct..

Attachments

• DSC00194.jpg
    DSC00194.jpg
    416 KB · Views: 11
  • DSC00195.jpg
    DSC00195.jpg
    410.2 KB · Views: 12

David94IDIT

Reaction score
I should have taken pictures for you guys. I don't know anything about either unit. He was asking 600 till noon. The price was going to drop to 500 at that time. I dont think he wanted to take them home. I dont know if the c6 was for a 2wd or 4. It had a real long adapter on it.

David94IDIT

Reaction score
Forgot to mention. It was at the Pamona swap meet. I believe that's Orange County.

87crewdually

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dang it. I would've snatched up that 2wd GV instantly. If you see him again, tell him I'll buy it and arrange shipping

X2. $600 with the adapter for a P-type unit is good even if the unit needs a clutch and new o-rings. I paid 8 for mine and I rebuilt it and loved it ever since. It's the reason I kept a simple/durable C-6, best of both worlds having o/d with a kick of a switch.

David94IDIT

Reaction score
Near GV on Magnolia is a shooting range with what they call true fire. Imaging going to a shooting range but actually firing into a screen that is showing a movie. They have different themes. One is a cowboy and one is a drug bust. If you shoot the wrong person or miss your target, you replay the scene. Pretty awesome. Video game with live ammo.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online