Gear and pinion

Exekiel69

Reaction score
I remember someone posted how to do re do or even replace gear and pinion (like when You swap say 4.10's to 3.55) on a step by step article. I read many times that if one was willing to tackle this, better know how to do it. I rather learn how to do it than let someone else do it for Me.

Btw if anyone here have done this, please share.

Thank You.

oly_fab

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I do gears for myself and friends. It's really not that hard. I have only done dana axles. You want a good micrometer and dial indcator with a magnetic base, some pry bars and a torque wrench.

If you buy yukon gears there is a guide that comes with the gears. It gives all the specs needed(stay away from genuine and motive gears,their crap).

The 4 most important things in gear setup are, ring gear backlash/carrier preload/pinion preload and smear pattern. The first 3 all contribute to the smear pattern. Changing any one will change the other 2 and change the smear pattern.

It's sort of an art, but if you get all of the preload and backlash in spec THEN if your smear is lookin good your golden. Check out these articles

http://www.ringpinion.com/DiffBook.aspx

Stu

Exekiel69

Reaction score
I do gears for myself and friends. It's really not that hard. I have only done dana axles. You want a good micrometer and dial indcator with a magnetic base, some pry bars and a torque wrench.

If you buy yukon gears there is a guide that comes with the gears. It gives all the specs needed(stay away from genuine and motive gears,their crap).

The 4 most important things in gear setup are, ring gear backlash/carrier preload/pinion preload and smear pattern. The first 3 all contribute to the smear pattern. Changing any one will change the other 2 and change the smear pattern.

It's sort of an art, but if you get all of the preload and backlash in spec THEN if your smear is lookin good your golden. Check out these articles

http://www.ringpinion.com/DiffBook.aspx

Stu

Great, thank You. That is some good reading.

sootman73

Reaction score
i'm sure i could find a procedure here at work for any dana axle and i could possibly get some ford/sterling axle procedures cuz one of the engineers i work with spent a few years at ford.

Exekiel69

Reaction score
i'm sure i could find a procedure here at work for any dana axle and i could possibly get some ford/sterling axle procedures cuz one of the engineers i work with spent a few years at ford.

Did You ever get a chance to get those instructions?

Since the last post I bought a dial indicator with a magnetic base at HF, I already have the torque wrench.

Unfortunately I found something quite disturbing today, after a long time walking by this axle with out time to actually do something to it. The pinion is loose so much I could move it up and down at least 1/8" pulled the cover and it was empty and there was plenty of shavings really small but there was some. I also found what was left of the seal and bearing. What should I do now? It looks ok to Me but what parts should I replace and where can I get them?

Also, how do I know if it is 4.10 like My rear diff? is the #'s on the spider gear?

Thank You.

Attachments

• IMG_0002.JPG
    IMG_0002.JPG
    331.4 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_0001.JPG
    IMG_0001.JPG
    211.2 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_0003.JPG
    IMG_0003.JPG
    230.3 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_0004.JPG
    IMG_0004.JPG
    215.8 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_0006.JPG
    IMG_0006.JPG
    256.6 KB · Views: 2

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just wondering: were you storing that axle with the pinion facing down? If you were, I wouldn't worry that much about it. One of the great parts about most live axles is that you really can't run one out of oil, even when the pinion seal is bad, the ring gear still runs through the bottom of the housing as it's lower than the bottom of the pinion seal.

Just my .02 worth.

Exekiel69

Reaction score
I keep it covered. The seal was gone long before the donor went out of service, I can see miniature grains of sand and some very tiny shavings.

Anyone know where is a good place to get parts? Is this something I can get from the local napa? Anymore advice?

Thank You.

spg

Big Red
Reaction score
If you are setting up a ring and pinion the first thing that must be done is set the pinion depth. Which requires a pinion depth measuring tool. That is the setting that is stamped on the end of most aftermarket pinion gears. OEM may not have it because when they are set up in a production plant they have all the equipment special made to do the job. Next is pinion bearing preload. Then backlash. Even if you just try to do it by pattern this is the order it has to be set. but you may end up with noise or improper wear if you do by pattern only. You can do it but it is critical that it is done right. Dana 60 pinion depth shims are under the bearing race in the housing. Pinion bearing preload shims are between the pinion bearings. and backlash shims are behind the carrier bearings. you will need a press and the proper tools to press the bearings on and off.

Exekiel69

Reaction score
I'll buy what all that is necessary to so it right, I just need to know what is it exactly. I don't want someone else doing it for Me so there is only one way out of this situation in My case.

Thank You.