Gauge questions

Ididriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Alright here we go anotherthread on gauges. Have just a few questions on my new gauges.
First off fuel pressure is installed and working. What kind of readings should I be getting? Idle and at speed.
2nd installing water temp. Best place to put the probe? What size fittings are they?
3rd oil pressure. I'm thinking of just taking out stock sensor and replacing with new. Is there a better place to put it. Maybe somewhere easier to get to that's not covered by the turbo? Fitting size for stock sensor or werever else I can put it? And what kind of reading should I expect.

Keeping the factory gauges working is of no concern of mine. Thats why I got these gauges.
Thanks in advance.

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
Well you know where i put my water temp probe. that is the place that others on here recomended i put it.

Did you water temp gauge come with other fittings and adapters so it would work with multiple applications? I think mine came with 3 different adapters. IIRC i used the biggest one.

Ididriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well you know where i put my water temp probe. that is the place that others on here recomended i put it.

Did you water temp gauge come with other fittings and adapters so it would work with multiple applications? I think mine came with 3 different adapters. IIRC i used the biggest one.

Nope just the one fitting. And it doesn't look to big.
I'm about to go outside and see if it fits.

alienturtle

Human
Reaction score
for fuel pressure i think you will see about 7psi max. Im not sure what you will see foot to the floor but it will drop of course.

Water temp has a couple possible places to put it. If you are not going to use the stock temp gauge that is in the cluster then just remove the old sender for that and use that hole. There are 2 senders though. one is the actual temp sender for the gauge and one is the overheat switch. if you are looking at the front of the vehicle the over heat switch i THINK is the big one on the right kinda side of the head. The sender is more on the top of the right (drivers) head.

I installed my oil sender in the stock location. I was NA so it wasnt that hard for me. There is an oil port on the driver side of the block but you are using it to feed your turbo. You will see about 20psi idle and 40-60 HOT full boogy

Ididriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
for fuel pressure i think you will see about 7psi max. Im not sure what you will see foot to the floor but it will drop of course.

Water temp has a couple possible places to put it. If you are not going to use the stock temp gauge that is in the cluster then just remove the old sender for that and use that hole. There are 2 senders though. one is the actual temp sender for the gauge and one is the overheat switch. if you are looking at the front of the vehicle the over heat switch i THINK is the big one on the right kinda side of the head. The sender is more on the top of the right (drivers) head.

I installed my oil sender in the stock location. I was NA so it wasnt that hard for me. There is an oil port on the driver side of the block but you are using it to feed your turbo. You will see about 20psi idle and 40-60 HOT full boogy

Well crap... I get 2-3 psi at idle and anything else is .5 to flat out zero...
Alright so to use factory location for my aftermarket gauge I'm going to need a 1/2 adaptor?? Right? The rear plugs seem to hard to get too..

Well actually with my kit my turbo gets oil from the factory sender location. It kind of uses a y one goes to turbo other side sensor threads in. Sense I k ow u have glowshift gauges also did you have to use an adaptor to put it into the stock location?

alienturtle

Human
Reaction score
i was NA so it was different for me as far as the oil pressure goes. With the T you have installed one end goes to the turbo and the other goes to the stock pressure sender. Take the stock sender out and match the threads. If its 1/8NPT then all you have to do is screw the new glowshift sender in. and wam bam wire and done.

Ididriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i was NA so it was different for me as far as the oil pressure goes. With the T you have installed one end goes to the turbo and the other goes to the stock pressure sender. Take the stock sender out and match the threads. If its 1/8NPT then all you have to do is screw the new glowshift sender in. and wam bam wire and done.

gotcha;Sweet
now im just on the hunt for an adapter for water temp. local auto zone dindt have it.

Ididriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
alright stopping by the store tomarow afternoon to get the adaptors.
how hard is it to get to the oil pressure port on the side of the block/ any pictures.
thinking it may be easier than going behind the turbo even if it dose cost alil more cuz u need an adaptor..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin

Members online