Gas gauge wont leave Full

Nicp

WAR PIG
Reaction score
Some one plz help me it stays on full and wont leave till get get almost out of fuel what could this be.
Thanks for the help Its in a 88 f250 4x4 idi

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like a sending unit problem in the fuel tank. Very common problem. My gauge stays on full for awhile, and then drops quickly(front tank), but it doesn't wait till it's empty to drop. If you are complaining about the guage not being very linear, then I believe that's a quirk you will have to live with. But if it stays high till you are running out of fuel, that's not normal.

Another common problem is the fuel gauge reading correctly, but the engine runs out of fuel at about 1/4 tank. That is usually caused by the pickup on the sending unit rotting off and not picking up the fuel when it gets low in the tank.

F350farmboy

The Hornet
Reaction score
I had both problems, the gauge pegged full until I ran out, and it would only take 12 or so gallons. Turned out both sender and pickup were bad....on both tanks!!

So I did the sun-pro universal fuel sender, pick-up tube, and filler neck mods on both tanks. The front gauge reads pretty accurate, but the rear doesn't move untill I have less than 1/2 tank...thats when I switch it to the front where it is accurate and I have a little reserve in the rear.

I still cant use the big diesel pumps, but I can hold the auto pump on the lowest setting and still fill up 15 mins shorter.

Nicp

WAR PIG
Reaction score
thanks guys u know any were i could find one bc towns autostores dont got them and i really need it i drive 60 to 70 miles a day back and forth from work it gets scarey some time and yes it both tanks my gage will bounce around when i would say got 1 to 2 gallons left then just runs like its getin air in it so can i get by with one sending unit or must replace both

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If your pickup has rotted off, some people fix that by installing a rubber fuel line hose on the end with a v-cut on the end of it.

F350farmboy

The Hornet
Reaction score
Thats how I did my pick-ups^^

The universal senders are around 30-40 a piece, but depending on who you hear it from factory senders are either MIA, expensive, or someone else knows a hook-up and can get is cheap.

antivtec

Brown Bomber
Reaction score
i just go off the trip meter on mine since my gauges like to work sometimes and othertimes like to stay pegged far to the right. i just fill up every 200 miles if im only running off my back tank because the front one is SLOW to fill up

Full Monte

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sometimes you can bend the float arm to make your gauge read more accurately. In the case of staying on "full" too long, you would bend the arm so the float is higher than it would normally be, making the wiper on the sender sense a lower tank level.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin

Members online