Funky timing issue.

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Turn buckle idea is no good for turning the pump to set timing. Just a bad idea....however.....it works GREAT for holding the throttle like in the picture. Super easy to hold it at 2000 RPM. I do it this way every time. I can get the RPM almost exactly 2000 without too much work.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
easy tiger.it's nice having cool tools.;) how's he gunna know he's at 2k rpm without a tach in the truck and what are ya gunna do normally,get someone to hold the throttle for ya from inside the cab while they watch the rpms for you? i suppose but with the light it's an easy one man job.you can watch the rpm,set the advance and your done before you can say bobs your uncle.:D plus it's just nice to have cool tool's.;)

Hey all I was saying is Don't put down a method if you don't know or have not used it.

Having a tach is critical to timing the engine and if he had one it would be easy to set 2K by himself be it with a turnbuckle or a carrot as I've seen done.

We did not have the full picture and lack of tach was part of that equation.

My point is if a truck does have a tach; then a pulse adapter and regular timing light are all one needs. If you own an adjustable one great, if not you DO NOT need buy one...some tape is all that is required...simple nuff...

And it works quite well...besides that, nothing beats having the ONLY sticker that can actually add HP and TQ;Sweet:D:rotflmao

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
you don't need a code scanner to pull codes from the ed40d in idi trucks either.all you need is a volt meter and a paper clip.i'm always going to recommend people just buy the code scanner as just in this situation here,it's much easier and more enjoyable to do the job with the correct timing light.
im not saying your method using tape is wrong.im just never going to recommend that.like pulling codes using a meter.i don't need to try that myself to know it's an inferior method.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well FORDF250HDXLT The RIGHT tool is the affordable tool that works for who ever is using it.

I've found that sometimes a simple method is best.

It took a while for me to determine the failure in my Kent Moore J33300 meter, and if I could not have fixed it it would have been useless junk.

Now it works, albeit I've a back up and can use a pulse adapter or even a Lumi probe adapter if it triggers a timing light and my old inductive light can and will indicate with tape the correct time. Heck now you have me curious about something, I'm going to test the second non adjustable light and see if the old analogue tach on it is triggered too and shows RPM correctly.!!!!

Bottom line the correct tool is the one a person can afford that gets the job done.

Oh BTW...my meter....and several of Gary's....ya we had the same problem so he would have had a stack of junk too, had we not worked together to get them going.

Thanks and Kudos to Gary for his meter program making the right tools available to all who need it.

JM2CW ....others experiences will differ...results not typical of all situations seek professional help if obvious problems arrise.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online