Funky timing issue.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Still never answered what you are using to time...

May be if an adjustable light it's outta whack?

Try some TIMING TAPE and check it. I think I did a tech 101 on timing tape I dunno... shows how where etc what size to use and all the math involved.

Then set yer timing light to zero and read right off harmonic..and tape. see what it says...

If using a timing light you DON"T use a 20 deg offset as the mark for 0 or TDC is different than the MAG probe location for the Meter mag pick up point...that's why you offset the meter cause the probe is 20 deg off from the TDC point...

Just sayin...

NTOLERANCE

I'm the cotton swab
Reaction score
I'm on number 4 and using the Mac pulse adaptor and the craftsman timing light in the video. Currently my timing mark (the line in the balancer) is at about the zero mark. I moved the top of the ip to the pass side and I can get the mark moved to the end of the metal timing tab. Guess my issue is I don't know where 10 degrees advanced is on the tape
You must be registered for see images attach
[ ATTACH]53363[/ATTACH]

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1417208130.385045.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1417208130.385045.jpg
    255 KB · Views: 56

NTOLERANCE

I'm the cotton swab
Reaction score
I apologize if I am causing confusion. I'm a bit confused myself and since I'm timing a van I have to take the dog house off to get to number four. This means I have to pull a seat out to get in there. Not easy and I'm trying to avoid doing it again.

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
so your using a fuel pulse to spark signal converter box (like the more common ferret adapter most of us use) with a timing light w/ built in advance correct?

if so,then you read #1 or #4 fuel lines with warm engine @ 2k rpm.
you set your timing lights built in advance to 8 BTDC (+ or - 2 degrees.)
warning!! warning!!! only making adjustments with the engine off! do not attempt to rotate pump while running!!! warning!! warning!!!
now you simply make adjustments so that you line up the timing line to the 0 degree TDC mark.the built in timing advance of the light will make it flash at the correct time to line up to 0 TDC.there is no timing tape required.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm on number 4 and using the Mac pulse adaptor and the craftsman timing light in the video. Currently my timing mark (the line in the balancer) is at about the zero mark. I moved the top of the ip to the pass side and I can get the mark moved to the end of the metal timing tab. Guess my issue is I don't know where 10 degrees advanced is on the tape
You must be registered for see images attach
[ ATTACH]53363[/ATTACH]
Hi there...

So here are my TWO timiing Tech 101's

http://www.oilburners.net/forums/sh...01-TIming-tape-and-timing!&highlight=TECH+101

http://www.oilburners.net/forums/sh...FOR-TIMING-LIGHTS-Tech-101&highlight=TECH+101

NOW based on what I see, you are reading the PULSE of #1 or #4 cyl.

If you look at the TIMING tape thread, it's very indepth in regards to math, timing marks etc. The tape I used is a 7" harmonic and for a timing light and pulse adapter it's accurate enough...if you don't think so check the math!

So lets recap,

Time at 2000 RPM
Time on #1 or #4 cyl

If you DO NOT have an adjustable timing light then you need to make a mark on the harmonic or get timing tape.

When you use the tape method and NON adjustable light, at 2000 RPM the light will show on the 0 mark on the tab and the 8.5 or 10 deg mark on the tape. You can make tape our of some masking tape if you like for test purposes the math and distance per degree are listed in tape thread, but purchasing one and they are cheap...is worthwhile in my mind.

Hope that helps clear it up.

FORDF250HDXLT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

NTOLERANCE

I'm the cotton swab
Reaction score
Well I had to guess on. The rpm. Set the light to ten degrees and put the mark on zero. What a difference. Thanks for everyone's help and patience. Don't try to time one of these on 2 hrs sleep. Can't focus well.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
tape isn't what you want though.it might work,but nothing beats having the proper tool.this one here shows rpms and your advance simultaneously.making the job a breeze.
let the old lady know what you want for x mass.;)

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000EVYGV4/

for those who don't yet have the pulse to spark converter box yet,let the wife's know you'll need this to go with the new timing light lol.:D

http://www.tooldiscounter.com/ItemDisplay.cfm?lookup=FERV765-01

I'm going to have to dissagree with taope isn't what you want.

I've personally tested that method on a number of occasions and really it's just fine. If all you have is a pulse pickup, along with a regular timing light, and tach you can check your timing quite accurately.

DON"T put something down if you yourself have no experience with it as you have no basis for comment.

I compared my timing to my Kent Moore J33300 meter and the tape/timing light is just fine! Also compared two other meters this way and a digital advance light. So I'd say I've done my research, how bout you?

FORDF250HDXLT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
easy tiger.it's nice having cool tools.;) how's he gunna know he's at 2k rpm without a tach in the truck and what are ya gunna do normally,get someone to hold the throttle for ya from inside the cab while they watch the rpms for you? i suppose but with the light it's an easy one man job.you can watch the rpm,set the advance and your done before you can say bobs your uncle.:D plus it's just nice to have cool tool's.;)

TahoeTom

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here is how you hold your rpm. Not my idea. Credit akamcgyver on FTE. Right click on pic and select view image.

Attachments

• DSC00166.jpg
    DSC00166.jpg
    475.9 KB · Views: 51

NTOLERANCE

I'm the cotton swab
Reaction score
What a difference in egts Dropped em in half. Really are a big difference in the shifting as well. It was holding each gear too long because it wasn't seeing the correct rpm/speed as related to throttle input. Big big difference over all

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Well hasn't this post run many different places. Its very true having the correct nice tools makes for an easy job. Thats why I spent so much money and time buying kent moore timing meters so EVERYONE could use them for a cover charge to keep the rental program working. Its been available for a few years now and nope.. It has not paid for itself yet. That I never expect to happen ever. This is my mission helping others at a cost to me. Now without the correct information you just can't do the job. Using either #1 or 4 hard line your going to need a tach and an adjustable timing lite if thats what your using. In all honesty thats about the most difficult way to time avan. There are ways of doing it. First off you need a timing lite that has both a tach and it must be adjustable for timing. But you still need to see the timing tab. Tuff job on a van. The kent Moore J33300 or J33300-A meters does all the work for you. Clean off the tall skinny mag probe tube at the damper. Install the mag probe using 3 business cards as a air gap to the damper. Now sand clean the 1 or 4 hard line and install the clamp. Plug in meter and hot it up. Press one rocker switch and fire up engine. Hand rev to 2000 rpm and watch the meter timing and rpm display. Job done for knowing what your timing is. No hunting for a tab and damper line with a fan running near your lite or hand. Make any timing adjustments when the engine is off. Never try to adjust timing when the engine is running. I have seen this done on utube using a wrench on the pump lug and a turn buckle. Well guess what happens when that slips off. Broken pump main shaft and no core value. The pump make ssome wicked twisting torque making the pressure to pop open a injector. It will crash over to the pump slot adjustment locks and snap the shaft. So in closing get the right tools or equiptment. Make the job easier and not harder. BTW that pic of the timing tab and the damper line is great. It clean and clear. Its also way past top dead center bout 30 degrees.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance