Fummins charging system help needed

GRU

fear the chicken legs
Reaction score
ok i need help from all you cummins swap guys. whats everyone doing for their alternator situation? i know some of you retained a ford alternator. im trying to retain the dodge alternator since its already bolted in nicely. in the dodge the voltage is regulated by the computer. but its a well documented "mod" to wire in a normal regulator if the one in the computer goes bad. really as i understand it all thats involved is taking the two field wires in the ford harness and bolting them on the two fields on the dodge. but this isnt working in my case. im getting absolutely no voltage at all. ive tried a million different things, even a new alternator. im using a known working regulator from my other truck. i am getting voltage to the regulator from the key switch even though the charge light will not light. what am i missing??

chvycmnslvr68

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the two conversions that I did I used a Leece Neville semi truck alternator ... I just had the Dodge pulley bored (about 20 bucks) to fit the high output LN alternator and it bolted right into the dodge mounting brackets with a little spacing ... then there is only one wire to the bat and a ground wire to hook up ... these are a million mile unit and trucks run them with all the lights they run without any problems ... the brand new unit can be bought for around 140 to 165 .... I wouldnt go any other way .... mine is 160 amp continous duty cycle that I bought from Fleet pride for 140 in the box no core required

93_444idi

first on race day
Reaction score
Just use an external voltage regulator. They're like 20 bucks. 2 wires, one connects to the post on the alternator closest to the passenger-side fender, the other Ts into your ignition-on wire that runs to the other post on the alternator. Can post pics if you like of my setup.