fueling up while truck is running?

Black dawg

Reaction score
If my truck is warmed up, I shut it off while fueling. The world is loud enough without my pos turbosmoker rattleing away for no reason.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Oh boy. I have a GREAT subject for a new thread. Still has to do with fueling. I'll start it right meow!
It'll be in the lounge.

Roland_Jenkins

Señor Member
Reaction score
For insurance purposes the station where you buy fuel may object. Also make sure you set the parking brake or be a fast sprinter.

madpogue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
... Parking brake works the same with engine on or off, especially when in neutral:dunno
But it's the gear that parks the truck with the engine off. You don't have that option with the engine running. I'm not worried about the truck "falling" into gear; that's impossible with the engine running and the clutch engaged. I'm worried about the truck just drifting away, held by just the parking brake. 'Course, in the case of the RCLB, I should get off my duff and get the cable to the passenger side working.....

As for gassers, if your starter is making sparks, and/or if there are gasoline fumes on the ground under the starter, you've got bigger problems. The ignition spark of a gasser is a much greater threat than any potential stray spark from an electric motor.

A vat of diesel next to a Tesla coil -- sounds like a deleted scene froma Coen Bros. movie..... ;)

osokusmc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I always leave my truck idling when getting fuel unless I have to go inside and pay or get snacks or a drink, if it was illegal then why do all the big trucks at the truck stops idle whikle getting fuel? That dummy in texas that caused that rucus should have gotten fined for being a moron.

I leave mine idling, pickup or big truck, I believe it's against DOT regs to do so in a commercial vehicle, however.

Fordsandguns

Fords Rule
Reaction score
It's common practice to leave them running around here. Just about every diesel I see is left running while fueling up.

purg113

new to me f350
Reaction score
The only real concern about leaving it running would be the gas fumes getting pulled into your air intake. that is why I was required to turn my big pete off when I was loading at refinerys or load stations.

dizdak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks guys, i just want to save on the tired starter a little till i can replace it... so i will leave it running if i am at a smaller station where people aren't gonna be as concearned

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Staff online